Help needed just Diagnosed...

EloiseMum

Hi there i'm confused and any help info would be appreciated.....

Ok bit long but here goes, 10 year old daughter was diagnosed TYPE 1 in August so my midwife sent me for a test to see if I had gestational D I thought it was routine rule it out and that would be that so a bit shocked when I received a phone call to say my fasting blood results show I have got gestational Diabetes.... bloods 5.2 before test and 9.6 after..... I'm at hospital tomorrow to diabetic clinic.....

so my questions are would I have not had this is my previous 2 pregnancy's?
And how does this tie in with my daughters type 1 am I the reason she has developed it :eek:(?
And would I not have been higher than 9.6 seems lowish?

Joanne

Jen&Khaleb

Dislikes
Not having enough time. Broken sleep.
I can only let you know that I've met mum's who've had GD with one pregnancy and not others. I'm not sure if there really is a genetic link between GD and T1 or T2 but I suppose the people making up all those statistics might have some idea, or not.

One clue to whether you may or may not have GD with a previous pregnancy would be based on the weight of the newborn. GD untreated tends to cause large babies. Even though you might think 9.6 isn't that high it is considered out of range for pregnancy. You might be able to diet control the diabetes and avoid meds.

All the best for you and the new bub.

EloiseMum

Thank you for your reply my 2nd baby was 9lb so maybe it just was not diagnosed... will find out more at clinic today I guess, not looking forward to the diet like been using the excuse of eating for two :lol:

Joanne

Jen&Khaleb

Dislikes
Not having enough time. Broken sleep.
My first baby was just over 9lb and I was not given a GTT but I think I just drank too many milkshakes and ate the wrong things when I was pregnant with him and I doubt I had GD. I put on way too much weight! I was very careful when pregnant with Khaleb and didn't stack on extra pounds and he was in the 7lb range. Khaleb had blood sugar issues and blood test results that indicated auto-immune disease even in the days/weeks after he was born. I sometimes wonder if it isn't all the GTT's that are now bringing about the rise of diabetes. Surely having that sort of sugar hit can't be good, it made me feel terrible all afternoon (especially because I wasn't told I could drink water during the test).

You will nearly have as much gap between your kids as me. My 2 boys are 12 years apart.