Help on Pump Please

Amy993

Type of diabetes
Type 1
I'm 17 and have now been diagnosed 8 months. At my appointment today, we talked about a pump. I was told to research it and let them know if it was something i would want.

So, could someone give me their advice and personal opinions or experiences? Thank you in advance!
And also, the best type of pumps out there?

Last edited:

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
Hi @Amy993

Have a good read around the Insulin Pump section of the forum for more information on pumps and user feedback, also have a look on YouTube too as that is where I looked prior to starting on a pump.

Opinion, they are a great piece of kit and wish I'd started on a pump years before, experience............all good so far.

Reactions: tircoed and Amy993

Amy993

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Hi @Amy993

Have a good read around the Insulin Pump section of the forum for more information on pumps and user feedback, also have a look on YouTube too as that is where I looked prior to starting on a pump.

Opinion, they are a great piece of kit and wish I'd started on a pump years before, experience............all good so far.

Okay thank you, i will do. Yeah i am staying in paediatric this year, but will probably be moved to adults next year when i am 18. Therefore she said if i want one, it is easier to try it in the paediatric than the adults.

Reactions: noblehead

PI3.14

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Hi @Amy993. I've been T1 for 40 years. Started on 2 injections per day then moved to MDI after 10 years then on to a pump 15 years after that. I've been on a pump for 15 years now. I've always used Medtronic pumps so I can't tell you if any other brand is better, but I changed to a 640g last year with CGM. I can honestly say that each time I made one of those changes to my treatment my management has improved. I've had great experiences on pumps and if you are prepared to do the extra work involved (carb counting, regular BG testing) you should have good experiences too

himtoo

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
mean people , gardening , dishonest people , and war.
why can't everyone get on........
Hi @Amy993
this advice is from an older T1 who just started pumping 19 months ago ( been T1D for 44 years )

go for a pump !!! ok it is a bit more work but the rewards in terms of flexibility , micro control ( bolus dosing of .05u upwards )
basal rates to suit YOU compared to a once daily long acting dose!!

Amy993

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Hi @Amy993. I've been T1 for 40 years. Started on 2 injections per day then moved to MDI after 10 years then on to a pump 15 years after that. I've been on a pump for 15 years now. I've always used Medtronic pumps so I can't tell you if any other brand is better, but I changed to a 640g last year with CGM. I can honestly say that each time I made one of those changes to my treatment my management has improved. I've had great experiences on pumps and if you are prepared to do the extra work involved (carb counting, regular BG testing) you should have good experiences too

Thanks you, i have fairly good control at the moment, just a few rough areas. However with all the exercise i do, my DSN said it may be easier. If it makes my control and life better then i will happily do more work to start with!

Reactions: himtoo

Amy993

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Hi @Amy993
this advice is from an older T1 who just started pumping 19 months ago ( been T1D for 44 years )

go for a pump !!! ok it is a bit more work but the rewards in terms of flexibility , micro control ( bolus dosing of .05u upwards )
basal rates to suit YOU compared to a once daily long acting dose!!

Thank you, i think i will if i can! And due to the exercise i do it will work better with it being more flexible. And also with changing the basal rates with exercise, which my DSN mentioned today with injections, but it seems a lot harder than it looks with a pump.

Reactions: himtoo

himtoo

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
mean people , gardening , dishonest people , and war.
why can't everyone get on........
being on a pump compared to MDI is no easier work and thinking wise -- it is loads more flexible though
that alone makes it a choice to consider.
( I wish pumps had existed when I was in my early days as D )

Reactions: Amy993

Amy993

Type of diabetes
Type 1
being on a pump compared to MDI is no easier work and thinking wise -- it is loads more flexible though
that alone makes it a choice to consider.
( I wish pumps had existed when I was in my early days as D )

Okay thanks, i know its not easy, nothing will be!