Help please. I'm a newbie and am away from home

LincolnLizzie

Type of diabetes
Type 2
So I can't access my diabetic nurse and I have a couple of things which are concerning me.

I only started on insulin (Lantus 1 X 16 units once daily) just before I came away on a prolonged trip and I am finding that even though I am injecting slowly and waiting for 10 seconds before taking the needle out, there is a slight leakage - a bubble of insulin seems to well up on the site. Is this normal? Should I be emailing the nurse?

Also I normally only drink perhaps a glass of wine each week, but here I am in the habit of drinking perhaps 2 glasses each night and it appears to be lowering my blood sugar. Again - is this normal? What causes this?

I would be grateful for any advice please. Thank you

Prem51

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Hi @LincolnLizzie, I am not on insulin so can't say anything about that, but others will probably come along to advise you. I think I would ring or email your DN for her advice.

As for red wine, I do think the couple of glasses will reduce your BG levels. It does seem to have that effect on me anyway.

catapillar

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi @LincolnLizzie

1. A little "oozing" of insulin from your injection site happens now & again & shouldn't have too much impact on your dose. I tend to finish the dose and then count to at least 20 before taking the needle out.

2. When you drink alcohol your liver will be busy dealing with that so won't do the usual glucose dump in the night.

Hope that is reassuring - enjoy your holiday but remember to keep testing if you are new to insulin & drinking.

Reactions: 2 people