Help re high levels

Jaxx01

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi all :)

My mum was diagnosed two weeks after me as type 2. She came round mine one day feeling rubbish so I tested her and she was very high 20's :/

I sent her straight to docs who of course sent her for a fasting glucose and hba1c. She also had ketones??

my question us this : I have been swaying her towards lowering her carbs and have witnessed her really trying, she on 1000mg metformin a day but after three weeks now her levels are STILL in the twenties?? after a breakfast of very very low carbs she got a 23 :/

Does this sound right to you guys? It doesn't sound right to me? I'm wonderjng of she is type 2 or maybe type 1? Or may need some medicine? All I know it it's not nice for her to not have any kind of control whatsoever :( any advice?

angieG

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Has she been tested for keytones since?
If she is still running high levels and has keytones present then I would suggest she is more likely to be a type 1 and wants to be going back to see the Doctor soon.

Regards
Angie

Jaxx01

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
No she hasn't been tested since and is actually worrying about the ketones :( she's got an appointment thus morning thank god! X

Defren

When you say mom has a low carb breakfast what does she usually have? It's much easier to see where problems may be, with a menu. For ketones, if you go to your local Pharmacy you can buy Ketostix, they are not expensive, and she can test to re-assure herself. Ketones and a high BG is not a good combination, it points towards Ketoacidosis which is very dangerous. I always have ketones, but mine are dietary and very safe, and I want to see ketones when I test.

Please let us know how your mom gets on, it's such a worry isn't it?

Take care - Jo.

Jaxx01

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
When you say yours are dietary what does that mean? And can you tell the difference? Sorry I'm just clueless lol x

Defren

Jaxx01 said:
When you say yours are dietary what does that mean? And can you tell the difference? Sorry I'm just clueless lol x

I eat a very, very low carb diet, so my body has almost no carbs to use as energy. The body then changes from a carb burning machine to a fat burning machine. This is called being in ketosis, and it's dietary and perfectly safe. When you have high BG levels, and ketones, that is a different matter, it's not safe at all. If your mom has high BG and ketones she must be seen by a qualified person. Often on the forum if someone reports those two things together, we advise they go to A&E that's how bad it can be. As your mom is seeing her GP today, then s/he will be able to suggest the appropriate treatment, and she will be absolutely fine, so don't worry, but do always keep high ketones matched with high BG in mind.

Jaxx01

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Thanks for your replies :) she's had her meds upped to 2000mg of metformin and 40g gliclazide so hopefully that night help! She didn't have ketones today thankfully xx