Help required

Medic36

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Hi everyone

My Nan will be 86 in September and has been type 1 for about 7 years. The problem we have at the moment is her dose of insulin has never changed although she is eating far less than 7 years ago and also spends most of her time sleeping. She also suffers from high blood pressure, has had a mild heart attack, fluid on her legs, kidney problems and angina. She regularly tells us that she has missed 3 or 4 days of her insulin with no side affects, blood sugars stay normal. She also eats very high sugar content foods such as jam, chocolate biscuits, sweets etc etc. She has apparently told her diabetic nurse about missing the insulin and all she says is she is a 'naughty girl'.

We as a family are wondering whether she actually needs the insulin or if their is something else going on. Any help will be great fully received as can't rely on my grandmother to be honest with the Drs etc and she doesn't tell us wh n she has appointments xx

catapillar

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Was she diagnosed with diabetes aged 79? Type 1 can strike at any age, but to be honest someone being diagnosed with type 1 in their late 70s is the kind of thing that ends up reported in medical journals. This article from diabetes U.K. talks about a lady aged 77 being diagnosed with type 1 and her case being reported at their annual conference - https://www.diabetes.org.uk/About_us/News/1-in-5-cases-of-diabetes-diagnosed-in-the-over-40s/

It's not impossible she's type 1, but statistically type 2 is much more likely. And actually being type 2 might explain why she is able to omit insulin and maintain normal blood sugars.

Although if she's not terrible engaged in diabetes management I would question how often she is testing her blood sugar on days when she has forgotten her insulin.

What insulin is she taking? At what dosage? If she is eating less food is she having problems with hypos when she takes her insulin?