Help Wanted

salsa81

Hi,

I was hoping you could help me. I'm 27 (nearly 28)

I was diagnosed as a type 2 diabetic last year and originally was on diet control but was eventually put on Metformin about 6 months ago. Since being on Metformin, I have lost about a stone but I want to get off the tablets and back onto diet control.

I have been reading a lot about low carb diets and think that it might work for me but I was wondering if someone could explain the basics.

Currently I have cereal such as shreddies or Special K for breakfast / soup with a sandwich on brown bread for lunch / fish or meat with plenty of veg and new potatoes or chips for tea. Plus I have about 4 pieces of fruit a day.

Thanks for your help
Salsa81

hanadr

Expert
Dislikes
soaps on telly and people talking about the characters as if they were real.
I'll try to help. I'm a low carber, but I take Metformin too. It's a safe medicine

You have cereal for breakfast. a low carber has an egg or in Fergus's case 2 eggs and bacon
Sandwiches for lunch.
Replace the bread with lettuce or a low carb wrap.
eat meat, fish, cheese, eggs and leave out potatoes, bread and other baked goods, pasta and rice.
Get Collins Little gem Calorie or Carb guide. they will tell you where carbs are lurking. It's best to avoid ready meals and make your own. You can use basic ingredients or buy some of the special lowcarb foods available on-line.

fergus

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Hi Salsa81.

The low-carb basics? It's blissfully simple actually. Avoid the 'big 5', pasta, potatoes, rice, sugar and anything made from refined grains such as wheat. Replace those nutritionally very poor foods with highly nutritious meats, fish, eggs, cheese, dairy foods, green vegetables and nuts.

No need to think about glycemic indeces and such or rely upon propriatory food products. Just eat in the way we're best adapted to.

All the best,

fergus

salsa81

Thanks a lot for this, I've been doing a lot of reading and decided that I'm going to give this a go and see what happens.

:D

salsa81

Will, do.

I'm also starting my new exercise regime next week. I got married in December and before then went swimming three times a week. Since I got back from my honeymoon, I haven't had the motivation but I've realised that I'm the only person responsible for my health and weight and being as though everyone says I'm so young to have type 2, I want to delay any health complications for as long as possible.