Help with blood sugar levels!!

ciaramoh

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Hi,
I've been diabetic for 15 years (I'm 18 now) and I've been on a pump for 7 years but for the past couple of days my blood sugars have made me feel a bit sick. For example I've just done a blood test thinking I'm high and felt like 25 but I was 14 and I'm really thirsty and have a headache. Same thing happened yesterday my blood was 5 over night and I thought I was low then I woke up at 21 and then dropped to 6 and had a hypo but I felt high all day.

I would really appreciate some advice or some help thank you x

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

donnellysdogs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
People that can't listen to other people's opinions.
People that can't say sorry.
You need to go back to basics and do a night of testing. Reasons for waking up high.. Do check that your lueur lock on your pump is tight as when lying down if this is slightly lose you can get insulin seepage out.. This happened to me for 3 nights.. Good up till 3am and disaster when I woke at 7am. The lueur lock had been slightly lose, worked itself loose.

Your body if swinging from low to high in short spaces of time can be confused and not give off the right warnings especially when asleep and highs are occurring.

Certainly worth checking your connections and doing a basal night testing.

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

Reactions: 2 people

Spiker

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
If you feel sicker than you you would expect for the BG level on your meter, check ketones.

But in general, how you feel is a poor guide to your BG. I can feel fine sometimes at alarmingly high BG, and other times feel **** at only moderately high BG.

But any time you doubt a meter reading, wash your hands and do it again, with a good size blood droplet. If the result is much different, test again and go with the "majority" out of the three tests.

K8tie_x

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
It's possible that you could have gone hypo after you'd checked and you didn't wake but your body sorted it resulting in a high. I've had this before several nights and thought no way could it be possible but after checking throughout the night it turned out u was going low, not waking then going high on my morning bloods. I try and check my blood 4 hours after having my big dose with my meal and then at 2am then in the morning. If you eat late maybe just check at 2/3am to see what's happening I've been surprised to find I'm hypo. I like to do fasting nights where I check 2 hourly throughout the morning also to check my basal rates.

Reactions: 2 people