jahmoo

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Horrible People
Hi Guys and Gals,

Introductions done and I know this has been spoken about over the years, as of the search I did on it, but thought it would be quicker asking the question, rather than reading through hundreds of Threads :D

I do not do this and only reason why asking is because my Doc mentioned a weeks course on, only end of last year.

I remember the day when the doc said Carbs was the must in my diet, but that reason alone is why I'm quite a big guy, they did not say anything about too many Carbs :wink:

I am looking for a crash lesson on Carb Counting, I am missing out carbs as much as possible, but would like to have a plan, if you know what I mean :)

Web site, or Information, please help. Thanks!

theblokefromstoke

Dislikes
Pizza (makes my BG go through the roof), Pasta & potatoes.
Hi Jahmoo,

I've been counting the carbs for the past 12 months and i've got my BG's right under control and managed to lose around 5 1/2 stone along the way.

I'm type 2 and find that around 50 grams per day is ideal for me - if I have more than 70 grams my BG starts to spiral out of control. My big carb intake comes from 2 slices of burgen soya and linsead bread - I have 1 slice at breakfast and 1 at lunch. This gives me around 18grams alone. The rest is from peppers, tomato's, salad and some veg - very few root veg though. I eat fish and chicken mainly but do have red meats once or twice a week.

Potato's, pasta, pastry and curries appear to be a 'no go' for me as my BG rockets and I feel awful. I was advised by some of the kind members on this forum to the collins little gem book of carbs. I got mine from WH Smith, I think it was around £3.00.

The book is now my Bible and everything I shove in my mouth is noted in my diary with calories and carbs totted up through the day. I try and stick to around 2200 cals per day also.

I was reading a food label on something the other day (I now live my life like this) and it had a chart showing the reccomended Daily allowance of carbs for an average adult of 300grams. For me, this would be way too much and see me in trouble big time. It doesn't surprise me though, I looked at some soup the other day and it contained 55grams in 1 serving!

Good luck with things

Carl

jopar

Take a look here http://www.bdec-e-learning.com/

This is will give you a crash course in carbs..

Carbs are important with a balanced health diet, most diabetics fair better with a moderate amount of carbs in their diet, and choosing slow complex carbs i.e wholemeal breads, pasta and wild rice are much better than refined carbs..

But the above link will help you count and work out how it all effects your control etc

LinseyMangion

Hi my daughter Betsy has just been diagnosed with Type 1 she is 2. our diabeties team told us about a book called Carbs and Cals by Chris Cheyette and Yello Balolia and its fantastic!! really helpful. you can only get it from amazon ( we tried everywhere) and its about £8 plus free delivery. well worth every penny...hope this helps :wink:

KazV1

1 unit of quick acting insulin can typically lower blood glucose by 1-3

1 carb portion = 10g, could raise blood glucose by 1-3

so for every 10grams of carbs, take 1 unit of quick acting insulin. This may vary during the day, so keep a diaryof blood results, you will usually need a atio of 2:1 in morning.