Help with DLA form

cmebaxter

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi I was wondering if I could get any help or advice as to what I should include in filling out a DLA form for my 6 year old son including extra information about care and extra information parts. Please and thank you it is such a long form I think I am almost finished but am now starting to struggle to fill parts in.

Reactions: himtoo

Maggie/Magpie

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Butternut Squash, Cabbage and confrontation.
Hi,
Sorry have filled them in for myself but not a six year old. The only advise I can offer is complete it as if it is his worse day and put down everything you have to help him do and he can't do for himself. I know it is an arduous task but keep going its well worth it if your successful. A lot of the questions are repetitive, they try to catch you out, don't worry if you find your repeating yourself provided your consistent through out you should be fine. Also put as much evidence in it as possible, letters from GP, social, physio etc.
Good luck.
Maggie/Magpie

himtoo

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
mean people , gardening , dishonest people , and war.
why can't everyone get on........
Hi @cmebaxter
welcome to the forum !! :)

I don't have any personal knowledge on this but am tagging @Ellie's mum as she has a young daughter with type 1 and may be able to offer some support.

AndBreathe

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hello there.

I have never had reason to apply or look at the form, but I have read of others who have used the Citizen's Advice Beurea for help with these forms. They do sound complex.

Good luck with it all.

Ellie's mum

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Sorry for the delay in replying

I have to admit I was a bit in denial when our DN told us to apply as it was hard to think of Ellie having a disability.

The best piece of advice she gave us was to do it while everything was still new and we were still learning otherwise we would 'forget' to write things that we would automatically do.

I kept a diary for a few days and wrote absolutely everything down. What we did, how long it took etc and transferred it all into the form. It is very repetitive and takes a while to complete. Also try and keep a copy if you can so you know what you put in it for future renewals

If I can help in anyway please just ask

Reactions: lovinglife