Help with living in the States?

lynde89

Hi All! Its been a while since I've been on here!

Me & hubby live in the UK but there is the possibility that we may have to move to the States as hubby's job has been lost here......

Does anyone have any advice on how to deal with this if it comes to it? I know that they measure glucose different so will have to adjust to that. What about pens? I am on Lantus & humalog so use pens, but I'm not too sure if they still all use syringes in the USA? Then there is the whole prescription thing & doctors & cost that goes with it :/

Any help would be great as I'm getting a bit nervy about it all, thanks!!

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

phoenix

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Hi,
From what I see on US forums, many do still use syringes I think that often this is because of insurance coverage, different insurance companies cover different amounts. Vials and syringes are cheaper than pens.
Finding out what your husband's insurance will cover and especially what the co-pay is (ie the bit that they expect you to pay before the insurance kicks in) is most important.
I know things have changed recently with the new health coverage laws but I haven't much knowledge of that.
Using mg/dl is just something you get used to. You will find that they also use mg/dl for cholesterol/triglycerides . Its worth being aware that the conversion factors aren't the same for each thing tested. There are useful convertors on the net for both glucose and cholesterol.

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
I'm sure you will get all the answers if you contact the American Diabetes Association.