Help would be appreciated

Sarahmort12

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Hi I have been type 1 diabetic for 21 years always been on the same insulin in the last few days I've developed lumps where my insulin sites are I've rotated but still getting them now my diabetic nurse is saying I need to change insulin has anyone experienced the lumps or change of insulin if so what did you do?

Sarah

porl69

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Stupid people
Hi I have been type 1 diabetic for 21 years always been on the same insulin in the last few days I've developed lumps where my insulin sites are I've rotated but still getting them now my diabetic nurse is saying I need to change insulin has anyone experienced the lumps or change of insulin if so what did you do?

Sarah

Are they just small lumps? What size needles are you using?

urbanracer

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Not being able to eat as many chocolate digestives as I used to.

Sarah

Hi @Sarahmort12 and welcome to the forums.

I've only been diabetic for about 6years but now on my 3rd insuling regime. Started on premixed, then tried MDI with Abasaglar and Humalog, now on Levemir and Humalog.

I do get bumps sometimes but they have so far always disappeared after 1/2 an hour or so.

The forums can be a bit quiet during the day but I'm sure you'll get some more people stopping by later.

Regards
Urb'

porl69

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Stupid people
Yes small lumps white i massage them but over the years its not done anything as now i have loads i currently use 4mm

And you are rotating every jab you take....I used to get small bumps every now and again but they disappeared pretty quickly. Hopefully someone will be along with a better explanation than I can offer!

Sarahmort12

Type of diabetes
Type 1
And you are rotating every jab you take....I used to get small bumps every now and again but they disappeared pretty quickly. Hopefully someone will be along with a better explanation than I can offer!
Thankyou very much i do always rotate my sites change the needle all the time its made me put on loads of weight as the hospital said they are sat under the skin causing fat going to try losing weight as a start but im not exactly big weighing 11 stone but going to see if its helps losing a stone but its making me feel so down about my diabeties abd myself
Thankyou anyway

porl69

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Stupid people
What brand of needles are you using? Maybe worth trying a 5mm needle??

NicoleC1971

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
This is definitely a thing for long term type 1s; even if you rotate I think we all tend to stick the needle in similar places so you should not feel bad nor try to lose weight unless you are overweight?
If yes then consider adding more muscle which could make your insulin work better. Hopefully getting a slightly longer needle and changing insulin could do the trick.
On the pump now but this carries similar issues!!

Sarahmort12

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Thankyou for the pick me up. I will try and build a bit of muscel see how that works out. Its just getting me so down now my doctors wont precripe my 5mm needles without my diabetic nurse saying i can have them so flustrating at the moment but thankyou for your help
This is definitely a thing for long term type 1s; even if you rotate I think we all tend to stick the needle in similar places so you should not feel bad nor try to lose weight unless you are overweight?
If yes then consider adding more muscle which could make your insulin work better. Hopefully getting a slightly longer needle and changing insulin could do the trick.
On the pump now but this carries similar issues!!