Help!

Gracie2007

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Please help I'm so confused! Type 2 diabetic diagnosed 3 weeks ago. Metformin 500mg twice daily.
Started 8 week blood sugar diet last week but struggling so much with the food. ..awful!
Looking at lchf but I'm so confused with it? Is it Atkins? Do I need to weigh and measure and count macros? How do I measure carbs???
Can I drink Pepsi max???
So sorry but totally bogged down with information but it's all a haze and don't know where to start!! HELP!!

A

asparagusp

From Google - Is there aspartame in Pepsi Max?
According to the US ingredient list for Pepsi Max, they in fact, do use Acesulfame Potassium (aka Acesulfame K, or Ace-K) combined with Aspartame. Diet Mountain Dew on the other hand uses Aspartame and Sucralose (Splenda), and tastes just as bad as it did when they used only Aspartame.

You don't want that Aspartame. It's really bad for you and non diabetics too.

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I don't think it is a good idea to try and do everything at once if you don't have the relevant information. To start you off I will tag @daisy1 for her starter pack for newbies. If you have had it already then there is no harm in reading it twice. You can also enrol in the free course at www.diabetes.co.uk/lowcarb. In the meantime consider buying a meter to test your blood sugar since the whole object of the exercise it to keep your blood sugar low.

Reactions: Hotpepper20000

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi and Welcome, @Gracie2007

It is VERY confusing to start with, but don't worry, it does become clear in the end. Just keep reading and keep learning and you will find it sorts itself out.

You have had some great advice from the Squire, and Daisy will be along with more in a while.

What kind of food do you like and WANT to eat? Sometimes it is better to start with that and then find a way to lower the carbs in it, and come up with interesting and enjoyable lower carb versions.
- you may not believe that is possible, at this stage, but it REALLY is. When I compare what I used to eat with what I eat now, my current food wins on flavour, variety, enjoyment and nutrition. I wouldn't go back.

daisy1

Legend
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Cruelty towards animals.
Gracie2007

Hello Gracie and welcome to the forum :) Here, as mentioned above, is the basic information we give to new members and I hope you will find it useful. Ask as many questions as you need to and someone will be able to help you.

BASIC INFORMATION FOR NEWLY DIAGNOSED DIABETICS

Diabetes is the general term to describe people who have blood that is sweeter than normal. A number of different types of diabetes exist.

A diagnosis of diabetes tends to be a big shock for most of us. It’s far from the end of the world though and on this forum you'll find well over 210,000 people who are demonstrating this.

On the forum we have found that with the number of new people being diagnosed with diabetes each day, sometimes the NHS is not being able to give all the advice it would perhaps like to deliver - particularly with regards to people with type 2 diabetes.

The role of carbohydrate

Carbohydrates are a factor in diabetes because they ultimately break down into sugar (glucose) within our blood. We then need enough insulin to either convert the blood sugar into energy for our body, or to store the blood sugar as body fat.

If the amount of carbohydrate we take in is more than our body’s own (or injected) insulin can cope with, then our blood sugar will rise.

The bad news

Research indicates that raised blood sugar levels over a period of years can lead to organ damage, commonly referred to as diabetic complications.

The good news

People on the forum here have shown that there is plenty of opportunity to keep blood sugar levels from going too high. It’s a daily task but it’s within our reach and it’s well worth the effort.

Controlling your carbs

The info below is primarily aimed at people with type 2 diabetes, however, it may also be of benefit for other types of diabetes as well.

There are two approaches to controlling your carbs:

• Reduce your carbohydrate intake
  • Choose ‘better’ carbohydrates
Reduce your carbohydrates

A large number of people on this forum have chosen to reduce the amount of carbohydrates they eat as they have found this to be an effective way of improving (lowering) their blood sugar levels.

The carbohydrates which tend to have the most pronounced effect on blood sugar levels tend to be starchy carbohydrates such as rice, pasta, bread, potatoes and similar root vegetables, flour based products (pastry, cakes, biscuits, battered food etc) and certain fruits.

Choosing better carbohydrates

The low glycaemic index diet is often favoured by healthcare professionals but some people with diabetes find that low GI does not help their blood sugar enough and may wish to cut out these foods altogether.

Read more on carbohydrates and diabetes.

Over 145,000 people have taken part in the Low Carb Program - a free 10 week structured education course that is helping people lose weight and reduce medication dependency by explaining the science behind carbs, insulin and GI.

Eating what works for you

Different people respond differently to different types of food. What works for one person may not work so well for another. The best way to see which foods are working for you is to test your blood sugar with a glucose meter.

To be able to see what effect a particular type of food or meal has on your blood sugar is to do a test before the meal and then test after the meal. A test 2 hours after the meal gives a good idea of how your body has reacted to the meal.

The blood sugar ranges recommended by NICE are as follows:

Blood glucose ranges for type 2 diabetes
  • Before meals: 4 to 7 mmol/l
  • 2 hours after meals: under 8.5 mmol/l
Blood glucose ranges for type 1 diabetes (adults)
  • Before meals: 4 to 7 mmol/l
  • 2 hours after meals: under 9 mmol/l
Blood glucose ranges for type 1 diabetes (children)
  • Before meals: 4 to 8 mmol/l
  • 2 hours after meals: under 10 mmol/l
However, those that are able to, may wish to keep blood sugar levels below the NICE after meal targets.

Access to blood glucose test strips

The NICE guidelines suggest that people newly diagnosed with type 2 diabetes should be offered:

• structured education to every person and/or their carer at and around the time of diagnosis, with annual reinforcement and review
  • self-monitoring of plasma glucose to a person newly diagnosed with type 2 diabetes only as an integral part of his or her self-management education

Therefore both structured education and self-monitoring of blood glucose should be offered to people with type 2 diabetes. Read more on getting access to blood glucose testing supplies.

You may also be interested to read questions to ask at a diabetic clinic.

Note: This post has been edited from Sue/Ken's post to include up to date information.

Gracie2007

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Hi and Welcome, @Gracie2007

It is VERY confusing to start with, but don't worry, it does become clear in the end. Just keep reading and keep learning and you will find it sorts itself out.

You have had some great advice from the Squire, and Daisy will be along with more in a while.

What kind of food do you like and WANT to eat? Sometimes it is better to start with that and then find a way to lower the carbs in it, and come up with interesting and enjoyable lower carb versions.
- you may not believe that is possible, at this stage, but it REALLY is. When I compare what I used to eat with what I eat now, my current food wins on flavour, variety, enjoyment and nutrition. I wouldn't go back.
Hi....today I had bacon fried in olive oil and kept the fat on. Just bought some high protein rolls from lidl so will take one to work tomorrow with butter and salami on and then maybe roast chicken for tea? How does this sound?

ellagy

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Non-insulin injectable medication (incretin mimetics)
Hi....today I had bacon fried in olive oil and kept the fat on. Just bought some high protein rolls from lidl so will take one to work tomorrow with butter and salami on and then maybe roast chicken for tea? How does this sound?
Sounds delicious @Gracie2007 perhaps some salad with it? Veg is important and we can eat pretty much any grown above ground but avoid those grown 'underground' Have a look in the Low Carb section of recipes for other ideas :)

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Also bought a low gi loaf from lidl is this ok?
Probably but all bread has some carbs so I can't eat too much of the low carb bread even if it is low carb. They usually have about half the carbs of the usual white processed stuff.

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only

That sounds delicious. :)

Are you enjoying eating this way? How do you feel about veg? I avoid potato, carrot, parsnips, turnip and swede, but some people find they can eat them in small quantities (you need to test with a blood glucose meter, to make sure). But i love veg and usually eat large quantities of things like courgette, peppers, broccoli, cauliflower, sugarsnaps, green beans, peas, and salad stuff.

Have you found this thread yet? We post what we have been eating, to share ideas.
http://www.diabetes.co.uk/forum/threads/what-have-you-eaten-today.75781/page-334

And this thread has some food lists, which are very inspiring! :D
http://www.diabetes.co.uk/forum/threads/a-few-asking-for-low-carb-food-lists.96321/

Gracie2007

Type of diabetes
Type 2
That sounds delicious. :)

Are you enjoying eating this way? How do you feel about veg? I avoid potato, carrot, parsnips, turnip and swede, but some people find they can eat them in small quantities (you need to test with a blood glucose meter, to make sure). But i love veg and usually eat large quantities of things like courgette, peppers, broccoli, cauliflower, sugarsnaps, green beans, peas, and salad stuff.

Have you found this thread yet? We post what we have been eating, to share ideas.
http://www.diabetes.co.uk/forum/threads/what-have-you-eaten-today.75781/page-334

And this thread has some food lists, which are very inspiring! :D
http://www.diabetes.co.uk/forum/threads/a-few-asking-for-low-carb-food-lists.96321/
That's great thankyou for links!

It's my first day and I really want to commit to it but I'm rubbish at thinking of ideas??

Reactions: Brunneria

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Have a look at the labels.

My personal rule is that it needs to have a high meat content, and no fillers like breadcrumbs, rusk and suchlike.

Usually the more you pay, the better quality, and the more meat. Oh, and the nicer they are too!

We usually buy Debbie Andrews, Black Farmers, or the good ones from Lidl or Aldi.
We avoid those horrid cheap ones. Sorry if that sounds snobbish, but when you find out what actually goes into cheap sausages and burgers... I wouldn't feed them to a dog.
Oops. Definitely snobbish! Lol

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Yes, have a look in your supermarket for sausages - high meat content ones are always available. I buy 97% meat from Tesco and Sainsburys, and also Black Farmers. I'm not a burger fan, but I'm sure the same principle applies - it will say on the packaging what is in it. From memory I think the 97% meat sausages are about 1g. carb each.

Learn how to read and understand the nutrition facts on packaging with regards to total carbs. (You can ignore the "of which sugars" because the sugar content is already included in the carb content. ) Eggs are excellent, cooked any which way, and as many as you like. Oily fish is essential - I have 3 or 4 of the 105g tins of red salmon a week, but mackerell and similar are just as good. It is the Omega 3 content that is important. You can dress your salads with olive oil or mayonnaise (chose real mayo. Hellmanns is a good choice, or make your own) and cherry toms or ordinary toms are also very good. Mushrooms too.

Gracie2007

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Yes, have a look in your supermarket for sausages - high meat content ones are always available. I buy 97% meat from Tesco and Sainsburys, and also Black Farmers. I'm not a burger fan, but I'm sure the same principle applies - it will say on the packaging what is in it. From memory I think the 97% meat sausages are about 1g. carb each.

Learn how to read and understand the nutrition facts on packaging with regards to total carbs. (You can ignore the "of which sugars" because the sugar content is already included in the carb content. ) Eggs are excellent, cooked any which way, and as many as you like. Oily fish is essential - I have 3 or 4 of the 105g tins of red salmon a week, but mackerell and similar are just as good. It is the Omega 3 content that is important. You can dress your salads with olive oil or mayonnaise (chose real mayo. Hellmanns is a good choice, or make your own) and cherry toms or ordinary toms are also very good. Mushrooms too.
Fantastic thankyou!

Can anyone give me few ideas for pack lunch in work and evening meals?

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
For lunch you could pack up a salad in a container with separate compartments, using eggs, salmon, chicken or whatever as the main protein, add cheese, cherry toms and salad leaves, and a dressing. A Lidl roll would be lovely with that, or half a roll.

For evening meals any meat or fish (no bread crumbs or batter) with plenty of green veggies, tomatoes, mushrooms etc. Do have a look at the links @Brunneria gave you for some great ideas. Berries with either double cream or full fat yogurt is a good pudding choice.

Gracie2007

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Tonight I've just had steak with portebello mushroom stuffed with onions and cheese and half tin tomato is this ok?