Help

Mooboo666

Hi
I was just wondering if anyone could help and advise me please !
So I am a type 1 diabetic have been for 32 years !!
I have been given the freestyle libre 2 on prescription I am so excited for this also I feel it will make my control so much better !
I am so frustrated with myself and feel so embarrassed I just cannot put the sensor in my arm I feel queezy lightheaded and I am scared to do it !!!
I know I am stupid but I trialled for a pump 3 years ago and couldn’t do that either ended up passing out trying to put it in my stomach deep down I know it’s not going to hurt that much but I just can’t do it !!!
I feel so angry and frustrated with myself because I know this will benefit me I just don’t have the courage to do it !
I have had diabetes a long time I don’t like change I like to know what’s coming !
I have a finger prick pen that I have had the same needle in for over a year literally because I can’t get the needles anymore I have a new pen and new needles I just can’t do that either because it’s change!!
Please if anyone could offer any help or advice I would really appreciate it many thanks

Reactions: jenfoolery

Antje77

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi @Mooboo666 , and welcome to the forum!

I can assure you it doesn't hurt, I've been using the Libre for over 4 years.
But telling you won't help you at all, I'm afraid, as fear is a very real thing, and judging from my own fears, fear usually isn't impressed by logic.

Would it help to ask a friend to be with you, or do it for you?

Mooboo666

Hi @Antje77
Thankyou for your reply my other half is very supportive and said he will sit with me or do it for me but this doesn’t happen !!
I have also wasted my 2 week free trial sensor 2night I have been trying for 3 hours to get my self so worked up and failing not doing it !!
I ask myself why am I so scared why can’t I just do it ?
It’s so frustrating

Antje77

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Thankyou for your reply my other half is very supportive and said he will sit with me or do it for me but this doesn’t happen !!
Why not? Sounds like a good solution to me.

KK123

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Oh @Mooboo666, I feel so sorry for you. It seems like such an easy thing to do for the rest of us but I can really appreciate your fear even though it is illogical. I hate lifts and simply cannot get in one, ridiculous right??? I suppose you could seek professional help, maybe from one of your Nurses who I am SURE will spend the time to take you through it and even do it for you, at least then you know your poor partner won't get all nervous and slip! It is SO easy to do, you press it to the skin and push and it's in, in fact a finger prick hurts more. You say you like to know what's coming and wearing a libre will tell you exactly that, also once it's affixed you won't have to prick a finger for 14 days, (well sometimes you may have to do one but it won't be 4 plus times a day). Come on now love, just grit your teeth and do it, afterwards if you did faint you can come back on here and call me all the names under the sun, I promise. xx

Lakeslover

I understand your fear. But honestly it doesn’t hurt…..less than a finger prick. Once you get past that first one I’m sure you will be fine.

I agree get someone to do that first one for you and hopefully it will calm your fears and the second will be easy. It saves so many finger pricks it’s worth the effort.

Hopeful34

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I was like you and sat for ages with it in the box, desperate to use it, but afraid it would hurt, so I totally understand where you're coming from.

However, I overcame my fear and inserted the first one, and it didn't hurt. I've carried on using them ever since, and gained so much valuable information, that I would feel lost without one now.

Please just open the box, don't stop to think, just follow the instructions (it's very easy) and you'll be so glad you did. If I can do it, so can you!!

Reactions: EllieM and Antje77

JagoS

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I can only agree with everyone else with regards to it not hurting. I appreciate that change can be hard - but it’s a tremendous opportunity. If you can, don’t over think it. The fact that you posted this message suggests you want to use the libre - you don’t need our permission, you have our support - but remember, you’ve been dealing with diabetes for 32 years - that tells me you’re a fighter, that you’re disciplined - that you’re strong! It tells me you can do this!

Whilst I can’t put myself in your shoes - I think it might help to focus on the positives that using a libre 2 (or similar device will provide): you can cut back on finger prick tests; you will have the ability to set alarms (Libre 2) that will warn you if you are going hypo/hyper; you will be able to be more free and active with less worry; and you will be able to easily understand the effect your insulin (and the food you eat) is having on you (and make adjustments as required) even overnight…

As someone else said - applying the Libre is much less painful than finger pricking - and more importantly (even as painless as it is) you only have to do it once every 14 days…

All that said, you do you, but don’t trap yourself with worry… anyway, whatever happens - best of luck.

jenfoolery

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Non-insulin injectable medication (incretin mimetics)
Another vote for giving it a go. I started with mind in April and am on my 5th sensor now.

Fingersticks hurt, my Trulicity injection pen hurts. Attaching the Libre2 in the right spot does NOT hurt. I watched a video of someone attaching it and they said it stung a little. BUT they went straight from using the alcohol pad to attaching the sensor and didn't let the alcohol dry, and I think that was their problem as it would have brought some of the alcohol along from the skin. I use the alcohol pad, let it dry, and then do the attaching. It makes a "kathunk" sound and that's a little alarming the first time, but there is no actual needle-like pain. Honestly.