Help!

Janjudge

Hi, I’ve just started checking my blood as I had a heart palpitation and my blood sugar went to 17.1! I couldn’t believe it, what was happening? If then went back to a normal level and I was discharged from hospital, that was last November, I’ve recently had a few heart ‘flickers’ and last week I noticed my eyes felt dry in the evening and my mouth is dryish most of the time, so I’ve started to check my blood, breakfast pre-meal is 6.2/post 7.1, lunch pre 6.2/post 6.2, dinner pre 4.8/post 7.4, night 5.9 - I will record a week then go to GP, has anyone else experienced anything similar?

Dry mouth & palpitations can be a sign of anxiety. Stress can cause sugars to rise.
Pure speculation...
Disclaimer: I'm not diagnosed prediabetic but have similar numbers.
I'd say see your GP either way.

Fenn

Type of diabetes
Type 1.5
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi, I have zero medical training and very little non medical training so I’m just quoting what a doctor told me at diagnosis, it may be completely wrong and probably is, he said,

A non diabetic would not go above 11 mmol regardless of what they ate, assuming this is correct? I would say worth keeping an eye on your numbers although they seem pretty ok to me right now, best of luck.

Oldvatr

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
You may be seeing meter misreads. If you get a frightening result it is best to repeat the test just to confirm it is a real reading. also make sure your sample site is clean and dry before taking the blood sample. Your other readings seem to be quite benign, but the 17 is an anomoly and was possibly rogue. It does happen sometimes.

You say your readings became more normal quite quickly after that 17, which is unusual if you were unmedicated (say with insulin ) at the hospital.

As said above, stress increases cortisol and this reduces the insulin ability to store glucose away and can lead to higher readings, but would not explain IMO such a large jump suddenly. Neither would heart palpitations by themselves. did they administer any adrenaline while your heart was playing up? just a thought.

Janjudge

You may be seeing meter misreads. If you get a frightening result it is best to repeat the test just to confirm it is a real reading. also make sure your sample site is clean and dry before taking the blood sample. Your other readings seem to be quite benign, but the 17 is an anomoly and was possibly rogue. It does happen sometimes.

You say your readings became more normal quite quickly after that 17, which is unusual if you were unmedicated (say with insulin ) at the hospital.

As said above, stress increases cortisol and this reduces the insulin ability to store glucose away and can lead to higher readings, but would not explain IMO such a large jump suddenly. Neither would heart palpitations by themselves. did they administer any adrenaline while your heart was playing up? just a thought.

Janjudge

Hi, thank you for your reply, no I wasn’t given anything at all, it’s totally unexplained but I’m thinking my sugar levels could be a contributing factor to my heart problems? xx

Janjudge

Hi, I have zero medical training and very little non medical training so I’m just quoting what a doctor told me at diagnosis, it may be completely wrong and probably is, he said,

A non diabetic would not go above 11 mmol regardless of what they ate, assuming this is correct? I would say worth keeping an eye on your numbers although they seem pretty ok to me right now, best of luck.
Thank you for your reply, I’ve reduced sugar and carbs considerably to try to reduce my readings, I’ll go to see my GP when I’ve got a weeks record, that’s reassuring to know about going above 11 though, thank you xx