HELP

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Other
Can someone please help and give me tips to lower my blood sugar level?
I've just been diagnosed with a prediabetes

catinahat

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Reality tv
Welcome @Christian Chinemerem
I think if you understand what has gone wrong it is easier to implement the changes needed to put it right.
You are becoming resistant to your insulin, unlike people with T1 diabetes, you have no problem making insulin, it just isn't working as well as it should.
When our bodies digest the carbohydrates in our diet, those carbs are converted to sugars. The pancreas then produces insulin which enables our body to use those sugars for energy.
For people with pre or T2 diabetes the insulin is inefficient at reducing the blood sugar and the sugar levels remain higher than they should. The pancreas then delivers even more insulin until the sugar levels are back to where they should be. High levels of insulin make our bodies even more resistant to it and our diabetes gets worse. This is why many doctors consider T2 to be a progressive condition.
So what can we do about it? The answer is relatively simple.
If we limit the amount of carbohydrates in our diet, our sugar levels will be lower and we will not need so much insulin to deal with those sugars. With a lower amount of insulin circulating there's a good chance that our insulin resistance will improve, if it doesn't improve it will almost certainly not get worse.
So base your meals around protein, healthy fats and above ground vegetables and salads. Avoid high carb foods like pasta, rice, potatoes, be careful of fruit check the carb content. When you check food labels it's the carb content you need to note, not the sugars.

• Winner
Reactions: Outlier and filly

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Can someone please help and give me tips to lower my blood sugar level?
I've just been diagnosed with a prediabetes
Change what you eat.
Reduce carbohydrates to a minimum and eat more protein and fat rich foods.
Cut out anything with flour, sugar and below ground vegetables and you should be fine.
What was the HbA1c level that led to your being diagnosed?

• Agree
Reactions: Outlier