Help!

CoolNan34

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Disrespectful/rude people, dog owners who don't pick up their dog's poo
I've been told I'm in the prediabetic stage for T2 so I read up on it and, for the last week, I've cut out cakes, biscuits and sweets (yes I've got a very sweet tooth), checked what carbs are good and have kept to 100-130 carbs per day and 75g of sugar. My cholesterol level is at 3. So far I've lost nearly 3lbs in weight. I love veg particularly greens but not so much in the way of fruit only blueberries, strawberries satsumas/ sweet clems. I've also tried some of the ideas on the Diabetes website.

I'm determined not to develope into full T2 as my dad had this in later life. He also had heart problems but he wouldn't take any advice on diet, healthy living or excersise, consequently he died at age 77. I'm nearing that age myself but I'm always on the go, do eat relatively healthily (apart from the sweet tooth, that is), so I'll accept any advice going to reduce my blood sugar to acceptable levels. Many thanks.

Reactions: xGriff and Paul_

Pipp

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hello, and welcome, @CoolNan34

With some tweaks to your diet it could be possible to reduce your blood glucose levels and avoid tipping over into T2. As you are not on medication for your pre-diabetes, you could, lower your intake of carbohydrates further. Are you aware that all carbohydrates, even those recommended by some health care professionals, such as wholemal bread, pasta, and brown rice, turn to sugar when being digested?

For the sweet tooth, there are low carb alternatives to sugar. Some helpful suggestions are available on

You will also find some information for new members . Scroll down below my signature in this post. Have a read, then come back and ask questions. Members here will help with advice based on their own experiences.