help

teddybear74

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
hi all

i know i have osted before but i was just wandering what the warning signs of pre diabetes is. 2 weeks ago i had a finger prick test of 6.9 how reliable is this figure also my drinking and toilet trips are getting beyond funny now i have had 2 instances in work where i have gone shaky hot and dizzy but after something to eat it soon goes away. work arent helping matters by giving me breaks sometimes 4 hours after i start and sometimes 6 hrs after eatting. im having another fasting test tomorrow so will see what level is then. can someone please help xx

teddybear74

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
hi alaska

i get results on thurs or should i say if anything wrong dr will call me they really struggle getting blood out of me lol

teddybear74

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
ok i dont know how right this is but

a1c 6.9%
average blood glucose in mg/dl 152 mg/dl
average blood glucse in mmol/l 8.4 mmol/l

what does these figures mean

alaska

Hi teddybear

I'm no doctor but they look like diabetic figures to me. I'd be expecting a diabetes diagnosis to follow this.

It's certainly not doom and gloom as those sugars aren't hugely high :)

Ed

caesarella

Hi, teddybear,
I'm an American. I'd like to paraphrase from a book we use. A1c is a 3 month blood sugar average. Your result of 6.9 means that your average blood sugar for the 3 month period was 151 mg/dl. It does not mean that you didn't have higher or lower readings during that period, this is just the average. This figure is a little on the high side but not extraordinarily so in my opinion. Have they started you on medication or diet modification? Hope this helps.

teddybear74

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
hi

just had final blood results back and thet say they are 44 and no action as this is normal. i havent been given any meds or diet advice so im a little more confused that i was x

alaska

just had final blood results back and thet say they are 44 and no action as this is normal.
:***:

44 mmol/mol corresponds to 6.2%

6.2% corresponds to an average level of 8.0 mmol/l which higher than in a non-diabetic.

I don't know the whole situation here but I'm surprised they're not treating this as diabetes.

I would suggest reading up on diabetes (that's if you haven't already :) ).

Do you eat carbohydrate based meals relatively often? -potatoes, bread, rice, pasta, cereals, pastry-based foods?

Some basic advice is available here
http://www.diabetes.co.uk/diabetes-forum/viewtopic.php?f=20&t=17088

jumbleannie1VDJQ

Dislikes
Intolerance, airports, having to plan my meals
Not 100% sure, but for a diagnoses of diabetes in this country I think it has to be over 7. I have had a 6.9 and was told I still fell in the pre diabetes range. Did listen to advise on this website, and although I haven't gone OTT on the carb lowering my last hba1c was down to 6.5. (Only have a test annually). If you feel you need it ask doc about a glucose test. A score of 11> means diabetes.