HELP!

SandrafromOZ

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Dislikes
DIABETES, All forms of cancer, Jealousy, arrogance
Guys, I feel like a nervous wreck, I am now not sleeping and becoming obssesed with blood sugar readings. I know you have all said it is early days (almost 2 weeks since diagnosis) but I can not get my fasting reading under 10 and all other 2hr past meal readings have been between 8.9 and 13.6. I could cry as I am doing everything as I should this morn has 60g of blueberries and some low fat greek yogurt and the reading was 11.7. Is it too early or do any of you think that I would benefit from some medication at this stage?

I am so anxious and do not know how to relax and this is beginning to affect me mentally. With Gestational diabetes I was able to keep my readings quite tight and felt good about them. I feel so hungry as I am hardly eating as worried about high levels. Thanks Viv, Steve and others who have sent me pm's the support means to much to me.

Warm regards

Sandra

SandrafromOZ

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Dislikes
I just did my reading after lunch today and although is was 20 min late it was 7.8!!! My first reading under 8!!! I pray that this may be a turning point....

didie

Dislikes
People who think they are always right and ram their opinions down your throat. No-one knows everything. Those who shout loudest are usually the ones who actually know the least.
Hi Sandra

I don't know if it will help, but I've found that doing some exercise such as walking or aerobics 45 minutes to one hour after eating really helps bring my levels down.

SandrafromOZ

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Dislikes
Thanks Didie, I will certainly take that advice..
x

Mothman

Dislikes
Raw tomatoes and arrogant people.
When i was first diagnosed last July, my readings were 13+ most of the time. Went gluten free cos of problems i was having with bread and after a few weeks went to 7.5 most of the time so a result there. However, after advice from this forum went low carb and again after several weeks and a lot of weight loss started to get near normal readings 2 hours after a meal, some well below 5 so dont worry too much yet as it takes time for your body to adjust to your new diet. Persevere, keep testing and ime sure things will come good.
Good luck.

Andy

MaryJ

Sandra

It is still early days. Don't panic if you get some high readings, this is the research stage.

60g of blueberries for breakie may be out for now.

I can't handle ANY carbs including fruit in the morning but I can have blueberries later in the day - :crazy:

Keep at it, you're doing great !

Mary x

A

Anonymous

Just try eliminating anything with higher carbs to see if that brings the levels down. You are making real progress already, you just need to tweak things.

xyzzy

Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Undeserving authority figures of all kinds and idiots.
Well done Sandra keep up whatever you are doing. Looks like things are moving the right way for you :clap:

Grazer

I know it's easy to say, but stress raises your BGs so do try to take it easy. Remember, nothing bad is imminently going to happen to you. It takes time for diabetes to take it's toll, so give it a chance for your diet to work. If it doesn't, then you can think about the next stage and discuss further medication with the doctor.

A

Anonymous

hi Sandra.... it's a case of persevering and you will start seeing results soon enough. Stressing over your BGL readings will just make your BGLs soar higher believe it or not. So try and not worry too much and use your meter as a guide only. If you are consistently getting high readings, then limit the food or eliminate it altogether. If you still notice you're not doing well on the readings... then see what else is going on.... eg. do you feel well? is it hot or cold? are you extremely tired? are you stressed or emotional? etc. All things things impact your BGLs. If you can't find an answer... you probably need medication to help you. Also just make sure you have been diagnosed correctly to begin with as sometimes type 1.5 is incorrectly diagnosed as type 2. Wishing you the best. :D

wiflib

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hi Sandra.

Your breakfast could have been just a tad too high in carbs. Low fat anything is higher in carbs than the normal fat version. How much yoghurt did you have? You did the right thing in testing. Now you know that particular breakfast in that particular amount isn't a good idea.
The levels you have aren't that good, but they are not that bad either. If you can't get them down with simple diet changes and need some medication, then so be it. It means that you then will be able to control your levels and live a long and healthy life with your family.

Are you able to post a sample of what you eaten for a couple of days? I've not looked at your profile yet, do you have weight to loose or are you one of the 20% skinny T2's?

wiflib

SandrafromOZ

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Dislikes
Hello everyone, thanks so much for your support..yes I do have some weight to loose, BMI of 29. Lunch today was one slice of burgen soy and linesed, some tuna, sliced tomatoe, a slice of reduced fat cheese, very boring but seemed to help BG level this afternoon. For tea I had a piece of salmon, pan fried with lots of salad veges. I think I need some help with finding some interesting low carb ideas.

Sandra
x

groggyj

ive just been diagnosed last Thursday and they havent even told me what type i am , i have to wait 4 weeks for my 1st clinic , my heads getting a little fried . :crazy:

xyzzy

Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
SandrafromOZ said:
Hello everyone, thanks so much for your support..yes I do have some weight to loose, BMI of 29. Lunch today was one slice of burgen soy and linesed, some tuna, sliced tomatoe, a slice of reduced fat cheese, very boring but seemed to help BG level this afternoon. For tea I had a piece of salmon, pan fried with lots of salad veges. I think I need some help with finding some interesting low carb ideas.

Sandra
x

Yes at the start it can be very boring Sandra but its worth sticking at it so long as you can see it making a difference to your BG's. You can use all the excellent low carb ideas and recipes posted on the forum to make things more interesting, just test to make sure they don't effect you adversely as some things are fine for some people but make other peoples BG's rise. That's what the wife and I have done and we really enjoy our really wide ranging low carb(ish) diet nowadays. Takes a while to get into the swing of it though.

xyzzy

Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
groggyj said:
ive just been diagnosed last Thursday and they havent even told me what type i am , i have to wait 4 weeks for my 1st clinic , my heads getting a little fried . :crazy:

Well your details say you are a Type 2 Diet Only. If you don't know what Type you are perhaps you should change that or someone may accidentally offer you the wrong kind of advice. If you are feeling very unwell you need to visit your doctor and get him to do the tests to determine type as soon as possible as without knowing what type you are it will be very difficult for forum members to offer good and safe advice to you.

emmatree

Hi Sandra,

When I first logged on here a few weeks ago, I noticed that some members were recommending that newbies wanting to low carb get hold of a carb counter or carb book. I went and bought one called "Carbs and Cals, A visual guide for carbohydrate counting and calorie counting for people with Diabetes" and I use it all the time now when planning meals, every single day. I find it really really useful. I'm sure there are other books just as good too. Also, have been reading some of the low carb recipes on the sticky thread here on the forum,( in fact I'm trying my first recipe now, a crustless quiche, in the oven as we speak, smells lush!) You may want to have a look there too, there appears to be lots of different recipes for different tastes.

take care, emma

))Denise((

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I bought the carbs and cals app for my android phone the other week when it was 50p as mentioned on this forum (was it you that mentioned it was on offer Emma?), it seems to have gone up in price since then. I think it is a useful app and saves lugging a book around.