1. Get the Diabetes Forum App for your phone - available on iOS and Android.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, we'd love to know what you think about the forum! Take the Diabetes Forum Survey 2021 »
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Diabetes Forum should not be used in an emergency and does not replace your healthcare professional relationship. Posts can be seen by the public.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Guest, stay home, stay safe, save the NHS. Stay up to date with information about keeping yourself and people around you safe here and GOV.UK: Coronavirus (COVID-19). Think you have symptoms? NHS 111 service is available here.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Find support, ask questions and share your experiences. Join the community »

Help

Discussion in 'Type 2 with Insulin' started by amjed, Jan 7, 2014.

1. Beachbag

Beachbag Type 2 · Well-Known Member

Amjed, I don't know where you get the idea from that insulin will control your diabetes better. Quite simply... It won't! However....your body, your decision. Such a shame you're not prepared to help yourself. Good luck.

2. phil169

phil169 Type 2 · Well-Known Member

please don't fall in this trap that insulin is the bee all and end all it is not and is not the answer to it all, just been changed to 4 injections per day and now lost control completely. its hell for me but the tablets just stopped working for me.

3. paul-1976

paul-1976 Type 2 · Well-Known Member

Would agree with the others-Insulin is necessary when all other avenues have been explored and have failed-however,it is not a 'Magic bullet',especially if there is insulin resistance going on and it's not unheard of for some type 2's to be injecting hundreds of units a day with the associated problems of highs and lows that can bring-all mixed in with weight gain+more insulin resistance+more insulin+more weight gain etc...It's your body but I would not rush into it if I was you.

• Like Like x 2
    #23 paul-1976, Jan 8, 2014 at 9:25 AM
    Last edited by a moderator: Jan 8, 2014
  4. Corbdon

Corbdon Type 2 · Member

Hi, I'm type 2 and have been on insulin for 3 years now, my doc was going to put me back on metfornin but I asked if I could keep on the insulin as I found it easier to keep my sugar under control . So unless your scared of needles I think it's a personal choice.

Sent from the Diabetes Forum Appcorbdon

5. 2christine

2christine Type 2 · Well-Known Member

I wonder if you followed a good low carb diet you could control your Blood Glucose levels and not need tablets at all ! ,many people have done this,

• Like Like x 3
  6. Thommothebear

Thommothebear Type 2 · Well-Known Member

Sorry vic but that is a very outdated view of things and not the way that the NHS views diabetics anymore. If you are insulin resistant then you are type 2 whether you need insulin or not, insulin resistance often causes the pancreas to stop making insulin.

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

7. musiclover58

musiclover58 Type 2 · Member

I am type 2 and just had my first dose of insulin humulin3 this evening in the presence of my diabetic nurse so injected at 6 pm went home to have dinner which was homemade shepherds pie heavy on the meat and lighter on the mash at about 8pm started with stomach cramps and barely been off the toilet since last time I had these problems was when first diagnosed and the metformin dose was to high so is this NORMAL with insulin my dose was 6 ml

8. gaffer

gaffer Type 2 · Member

I am type 2 so my diabetic nurse tells me, I take 1 gram of slow release metformin twice a day I also inject insulin 4 times a day, 18 units of Novo Rapid before breakfast, 18 units before lunch and 24 units before dinner I also inject 68 units of Lantus each evening. Given the choice I would much rather swallow a few pills.

9. lizbet9

lizbet9 Type 2 · Well-Known Member

Vic I'm type 2 following gestational diabetes, I used insulin in pregnancy and following my daughters birth 7 years ago, I was diagnosed as type 2 diabetic, put on metformin for a few months then back on insulin, nova rapid and levimir and metformin.

• Meet the Community

Find support, connect with others, ask questions and share your experiences with people with diabetes, their carers and family.

Did you know: 7 out of 10 people improve their understanding of diabetes within 6 months of being a Diabetes Forum member. Get the Diabetes Forum App and stay connected on iOS and Android

Grab the app!
  • Tweet with us

• Like us on Facebook