Hepatitis B Vaccine

jamesfitz

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Good Afternoon,

I will be doing a 3 week tour of asia in a couple of weeks and I have been advised that it would be smart to have the Hepatitis B Vaccine - higher chance of being in hospital due to diabetes.

Ive noticed on the NHS site that those classed as high risk can get the vaccine for free.

Just wondered if any of you have had the vaccine and whether you had to pay?

catapillar

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
If you are travelling in a couple of weeks, you might have left it a bit late - hepatitis B vaccine requires a course of three injections over a month or more. Unless you have previously been vaccinated and are just getting a booster shot?

Anyway, best advice is just ring your GP and ask them.

You might even be able to find out at a larger high street chemists who do travel vaccine clinics - if you see them and they decide you are eligible for it free on the NHS according to the guidelines they have to follow they will do the necessary paper work so that they invoice the NHS rather than you paying (that's how it works for the flu shot anyway).

AndBreathe

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Good Afternoon,

I will be doing a 3 week tour of asia in a couple of weeks and I have been advised that it would be smart to have the Hepatitis B Vaccine - higher chance of being in hospital due to diabetes.

Ive noticed on the NHS site that those classed as high risk can get the vaccine for free.

Just wondered if any of you have had the vaccine and whether you had to pay?

Well before diabetes, I had the Hep B vaccine and boosters, as I was working in a medical surgical environment at the time, with my (gloved) hands in blood, and double gloved where a high risk patient was identified. I certainly didn't pay for that, and I don't recall having any post vaccination issues.

On a general note, although my Practise could charge for some of the trravel vaccinations I have had over the years, I have never been required to do so. I have had private prescriptions for "just in case" medical supplies when travelling for periods longer than most folks' holidays.

If you feel worried about your health whilst travelling, then there are commercially available kits available, including hypodermic needles, syringes, some dressings. Boots and a few other places do them.

Jaylee

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi,

From memory? When I traveled to India, I was advised the vaccine as a matter of course along with anti-malaria tablets..
I seem to remember my D nurse doing the jab at the time. (Or at least booking a 5 minute return appointment for it?)
The malaria tabs gave me mouth ulcers.. It said so as a "side effect". I stopped taking them & the mouth issue cleared up immediately! (I was never bothered by squitos anyway.)

Hope this helps... Enjoy your travels.!

chalup

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
I am not sure if you have it in the UK but I think you must. I was in healthcare and required to have a hep B vaccination. I did twinrix which is hep A and B in one. As catapillar mentioned it is a series of 3 shots. If you have to be vaccinated why not get both at the same time. Hep A can also get you very sick and is usually acquired from food.