here i go again

phil169

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
another day of ups and I am not stopping my bs going into its usual phase of having a day high 37.8 and its not bed time yet.??? have taken 3 correction jabs of 18 rapped but has had no effect. it means staying up till 2am- 2.30 then all at once they will drop fast and if I drop off I waken with a hypo. and no one knows why it does this.

Reactions: 2 people
C

catherinecherub

Hi,

I haven't got a clue but I am hoping you have sorted something out by now.

I'll bump this up in the hope that you get a reply.

mo1905

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Rude people !
Hi Phil, not a lot to go on there really. I hope you start to get your head round things as there is always a reason for highs and lows, just need to investigate a little. Start by keeping a detailed food/insulin/BG diary for a few days. Diabetes doesn't cause cause hypo's. Quite the reverse. You will need to go back to basics and do basal testing. Do you carb count ?

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

Reactions: 2 people

phil169

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
hi mo1905
yes I do carb count and do keep it under 90 per day I keep a diary to but no one seems to know y this happens its getting less but still its bloody annoying. back at hospital to morrow ( see what they can cum up with). my bg has been up all day again to day morning 15.6 (hypo in night 1.6) then dinner 18.9 tea 27.1 now at 22 45 33.6 had all insulin and 27 units extra during the day to try and bring it down. it's so annoying when you have been so good with all I am eating.

thank for your help mate

smidge

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi Phil,

Your profile doesn't say whether you use a rapid-acting as well as the Lantus. If you don't, it might help to add one to get your BG down after food so that you can reduce the Lantus dose - that might help to avoid the massive highs follwoed by the hypos once the Lantus kicks in. Rapid-acting is much easier to see what's going on as it is taken with food and leaves the body within 5 hours, so you sort of know where you stand.

Sometimes, a particular insulin just doesn't suit someone. Maybe lantus doesn't suit you and a change to Levemir might do the trick - although you would probably have to split the dose morning and evening to cover the entire day.

Smidge

totsy

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
liars, animal cruelty
i think he said higher that he has novorapid? you may need a change of insulin, do u take metformin too? if not this may help, also what do you take for an hypo? hope the hospital goes well

phil169

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
back from hospital up lantus by 6 units to 48 and up carb ratio to 7 units of apidra to every 10 grams of carbs. it may be an infection but if bloods do not come down ring them in 4 days time. in the mean time increase fruit and veg intake in diet, try cutting carbs down to 50 per day.(think now that could be hard going) but I can only but try.

thanks for all your help and support.

phil169

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
sorry totsy I use hypo gel for the hypo's and c couple of digestive's