1. Get the Diabetes Forum App for your phone - available on iOS and Android.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, we'd love to know what you think about the forum! Take the Diabetes Forum Survey 2022 »
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Diabetes Forum should not be used in an emergency and does not replace your healthcare professional relationship. Posts can be seen by the public.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Find support, ask questions and share your experiences. Join the community »

Hey Hey. Parent of Type2.

Discussion in 'Greetings and Introductions' started by bwoo1978, Jun 30, 2015.

1. bwoo1978

bwoo1978 Parent · Member

My daughter was recently diagnozed type 2. She's 5. Just joining the forum to better understand it all and tips and tricks more experienced parents would have. Thanks!

• Like Like x 6
    #1 bwoo1978, Jun 30, 2015 at 12:28 AM
    Last edited by a moderator: Jul 2, 2015
  2. Daibell

Daibell LADA · Master

Hi and welcome. You may want to look at the T1 and parents forums for more targetted advice. Do let us have any questions.

3. SueB743

SueB743 Type 2 · Well-Known Member

Hi and welcome. I have tagged @daisy1 to provide the excellent new members info for you

4. bwoo1978

bwoo1978 Parent · Member

5. 4ratbags

4ratbags Type 2 · Well-Known Member

Hi and welcome to the forum.

• Like Like x 2
  6. catherinecherub

catherinecherub · Guest

Hi @bwoo1978 and welcome to the forum.

Can you tell us what led up to the diagnosis of Type 2?
    5 years old seems very young for Type2.

7. bwoo1978

bwoo1978 Parent · Member

Constant head aches for the past 3 months, fatigue, she could eat and eat alot of food and kept losing weight.

Both her grandmothers have diabetes, but neither my wife nor I do and I'm sad to say I didn't pay more attention to my mother's condition growing up. She kept it fairly secret in many ways.

My wives mother suggested we take her in asap, and yep... what we feared! Her health really declined fast a little after her 5 birthday.

Ever since diagnosis its been much better for her as we atleast now have an idea what's going on.

8. 4ratbags

4ratbags Type 2 · Well-Known Member

Are you sure she has been diagnosed correctly as a Type 2

• Like Like x 2
  9. Galen1595

Galen1595 Type 1 · Member

As you may already know, type 2 diabetes used to be called adult onset diabetes because it was thought only adults could get it. Within the last 10 or so years however we had to stop calling it that because of cases like your daughter. This is important because it means there isn't much known about type 2 diabetes in children; there just hasn't been enough time. Don't be surprised if doctors don't have all the answers. Please ask anything you'd like of the diabetes community we are here to help, and of course eat healthy! :)

10. Robinredbreast

Robinredbreast Type 1 · Oracle

So sorry to hear of your child having diabetes. Could you tell us what medication she take's. My little granddaughter was diagnosed with Type 1 when she was 2 1/2 years old, it's so sad when children get diabetes, but most do seem to cope well with it, my granddaughter injects herself now, under supervision.

All the very best for the future,

Best wishes RRB

• Meet the Community

Find support, connect with others, ask questions and share your experiences with people with diabetes, their carers and family.

Did you know: 7 out of 10 people improve their understanding of diabetes within 6 months of being a Diabetes Forum member. Get the Diabetes Forum App and stay connected on iOS and Android

Grab the app!
  • Tweet with us

• Like us on Facebook