Hey

Tammy0508

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hey everyone am Tammy I'm 34 am from glasgow I was diagnosed with type two diabetes in December last year. Am waiting to see the diabetic team at the hospital. When that will be I don't kno. I haven't seen my gp since December. I feel really tired and irritable. I try to be active as much as I can but even that is exhausted

TriciaWs

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Which meds are you on, and are you trying to cut carbs in your diet to improve your blood sugar?

The guidance on managing T2 diabetes indicates your GP team are a bit behind - you should have the offer of a course or advice from a dietician (not that I found that helpful, I preferred to go low carb and buy myself a meter) and have been booked in for a 3-month blood test and time with a nurse at your GP's to discuss your results and have a foot check., and also booked for the annual eye check at your hospital.

Reactions: Tammy0508

Tammy0508

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I'm on 500mg of metaformin. I havent seen anyone about my feet or a dietician I'm trying my best to cut carbs but I still feel very tired I haven't seen anyone at the hospitaland the last time i saw my gp was in December when i was diagnosed

catinahat

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Reality tv
Have you increased your protein and healthy fats to compensate for the carbs you have cut out.
Low carb & low fat just doesn't work, you need to get fuel from somewhere.

Tammy0508

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Have you increased your protein and healthy fats to compensate for the carbs you have cut out.
Low carb & low fat just doesn't work, you need to get fuel from somewhere.
Yea I have increased my protein but do u think I should increase it more?

Tammy0508

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Thankyou for the info I will increase my protein more and let you kno

TriciaWs

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Low carb means eating more fats, olive oil, butter, cheese, full fat milk and full fat greek yogurt are all suitable.

Robbity

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
As @catinahat posted, we are duel fuel burners, so we need to do a balancing act with carby and fatty fuel consumption, and cutting right down on carbs generally means increasing our fatty fuel.

Low carb means eating more fats, olive oil, butter, cheese, full fat milk and full fat greek yogurt are all suitable.
As are fattier cuts of meat, chicken with skin on, oily fish, nuts... all of which are also included in my "keep me from being hungry" shopping lists.