1. Get the Diabetes Forum App for your phone - available on iOS and Android.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, we'd love to know what you think about the forum! Take the Diabetes Forum Survey 2020 »
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Diabetes Forum should not be used in an emergency and does not replace your healthcare professional relationship. Posts can be seen by the public.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Guest, stay home, stay safe, save the NHS. Stay up to date with information about keeping yourself and people around you safe here and GOV.UK: Coronavirus (COVID-19). Think you have symptoms? NHS 111 service is available here.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Find support, ask questions and share your experiences. Join the community »

HGV class 2 with type 1

Discussion in 'Driving and DVLA' started by Davie_sett, Nov 21, 2017.

1. Davie_sett

Davie_sett Type 1 · Well-Known Member

Hello i was just wondering if there is anyone here with a HGV licence becouse im considering trying to get one i know its possible with type 1 but im just not sure how difficutlt it is or if it would be worth it

2. Deanoh

Deanoh Type 1 · Well-Known Member

Here is some information from this website:

Diabetes and driving HGVs and PCVs
    If your diabetes is treated with diet and/or diet and tablets, you can hold a licence to drive either a large good vehicle (LGV) or a passenger-carrying vehicle (PCV).

If your diabetes is insulin-treated, you will automatically lose the entitlement to drive vehicles within:

• the C1/C1+E class (including categories C1, C1E, D1, D1E, C, CE, D or DE)
    This includes vehicles between 3.5 and 7.5 tonnes with a trailer, up to a combined weight of 8.25 tonnes.

However, you can apply to be assessed individually to drive these vehicles, in which you must meet a number of conditions:

• No episodes of hypoglycemia at the wheel within the last 12 months
    • Receive an assessment from a diabetes consultant d at least once a year
    • Regularly test your blood glucose levels, especially before and around times of driving
    • Have stable blood sugar control on insulin for at least a month
    • Have no other conditions that would invalidate an application for the license
    • Sign a declaration to follow doctor’s decisions and report any significant changes in your condition to the DVLA

3. d blundred

d blundred Type 2 · Active Member

I used to be a hgv driver on insulin u av to fill numerous forms in once u pass that u av to go and c DVLA consultant and 3 mths ov readings and if they pass you they will let you know in bout 7 weeks it’s a long process bout 6 mths it took me first time and this as to b done every 12 mths hope this helps

4. searley

searley Type 1 · Well-Known Member

I have class 1 and am on insulin and carry hazardous chemicals

They biggest pain is that the license need renewing every year

Also you have to be very careful to keep 3 months of glucose records I missing reading and you will lose your license

• Meet the Community

Find support, connect with others, ask questions and share your experiences with people with diabetes, their carers and family.

Did you know: 7 out of 10 people improve their understanding of diabetes within 6 months of being a Diabetes Forum member. Get the Diabetes Forum App and stay connected on iOS and Android

Grab the app!
  • Tweet with us

• Like us on Facebook