Hi all, newly diagnosed

craigiam

Hi all
I have been recently diagnosed as type 2, and just getting used to the changes needed. Going for the retinology scan in 2 weeks. Hope to chat with you once I get used to this.

Craig

Synonym

Dislikes
Having no energy as this is so limiting.
Hi Craig and welcome to the forum. :D

Sometimes you need to ask questions in order to get things sorted and on an even keel - so ask away!

You will probably find that the advice from members may differ somewhat from other advice since ours is derived from personal experience. 8)

Libbyloo

Hi Craigiam and welcome to the forum.

I only joined up yesterday (diagonosed on New Year's Eve as Type 2) and I've already picked up some helpful bits of information and advice.

Good Luck,

Libbyloo

sugarless sue

Master
Dislikes
Rude people! Not being able to do the things I want to do.
Welcome to the forum, Craig, here is the advice we give to newly diagnosed type 2's . Pick out any info that may be of use to you.

This forum doesn't always follow the recommended dietary advice, you have to work out what works for you as we are all different .

It's not just 'sugars' you need to avoid, diabetes is an inability to process glucose properly. Carbohydrate converts, in the body, to glucose. So it makes sense to reduce the amount of carbohydrate that you eat which includes sugars.

The main carbs to avoid or reduce are the complex or starchy carbohydrates such a bread, potatoes, pasta and rice also any flour based products. The starchy carbs all convert 100% to glucose in the body and raise the blood sugar levels significantly.

The way to find out how different foods affect you is to do regular daily testing and keep a food diary for a couple of weeks. If you test just before eating then two hours after eating you will see the effect of certain foods on your blood glucose levels.

Buy yourself a carb counter book (you can get these on-line) and you will be able to work out how much carbs you are eating, when you test, the reading two hours after should be roughly the same as the before eating reading, if it is then that meal was fine, if it isn’t then you need to check what you have eaten and think about reducing the portion size of carbs.

When you are buying products check the total carbohydrate content, this includes the sugar content. Do not just go by the amount of sugar on the packaging as this is misleading to a diabetic.

As for a tester, try asking the nurse/doctor and explain that you want to be proactive in managing your own diabetes and therefore need to test so that you can see just how foods affect your blood sugar levels. Hopefully this will work ! Sometimes they are not keen to give Type 2’s the strips on prescription, (in the UK) but you can but try !!

As a Type 2 the latest 2010 NICE guidelines for Bg levels are as follows:
Fasting (waking).......between 4 - 7 mmol/l.
2 hrs after meals......no more than 8.5 mmol/l.
If you are able to keep the post meal numbers lower, so much the better.

It also helps if you can do 30 minutes moderate exercise a day. It doesn't have to be strenuous.

totsy

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
liars, animal cruelty
hya craig and a warm welcome to the forum :D

craigiam

Hi all

Thank you for your responses. My last reading was 7.8 from the fasting blood test, not that high. My problem is that I take meds for High Blood pressure and statins for cholestoral. I`m 49 in good health and am rarely ever ill. I`ve cut out sugar and fried foods, and white bread, replaced tea and coffee with Bovril and no deserts. My GP says if i fancy a drink, to steer clear of wine and replace with vodka and slimline tonic. Joyous, I cant stand the stuff. Oh, one other major factor here........... I smoke. I am trying to stop, but I have a high dependency and have smoked since i was 17. If only I knew then what i know now!

I do tend to get a bit down at the moment, it feels like I`m critically ill, but feel fine, apart from tiredness, which I`d put down to age.

Does anyone else suffer from feeling low?

Thanks guys

Craig

Synonym

Dislikes
Having no energy as this is so limiting.
Hi Craig :)

I don't suppose there is anyone alive who has not felt a bit low on occasions. :(

Keeping busy and doing something, anything at all, is one of the best ways of overcoming it. :D

Once your bg levels are more under control the tiredness will probably pass. You would benefit from a Collins gem Carb Counter or similar book to give you the low down on the values of a wide range of foods. You will need to self test before meals and two hours after to get an idea of what your food is doing to your body. I enjoy the occasional glass of red wine and it actually helps my bg levels. 8)

Get help with the smoking :!: