1. Get the Diabetes Forum App for your phone - available on iOS and Android.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, we'd love to know what you think about the forum! Take the Diabetes Forum Survey 2020 »
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Diabetes Forum should not be used in an emergency and does not replace your healthcare professional relationship. Posts can be seen by the public.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Guest, stay home, stay safe, save the NHS. Stay up to date with information about keeping yourself and people around you safe here and GOV.UK: Coronavirus (COVID-19). Think you have symptoms? NHS 111 service is available here.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Find support, ask questions and share your experiences. Join the community »

Hi All.......

Discussion in 'Type 1 Diabetes' started by richardpa, Mar 9, 2009.

1. richardpa

richardpa · Member

Hi All, my names Richard i'm 42 and from Wakefield.

Got diagnosed with type 1 diabetes on the 26/2. after loosing 2 stone in 5 weeks, didn't think at the time it was diabetes i just thought i was doing real well on my diet, you see i'm going to Cancun on the 19th of April so after Christmas i thought i'd try and loose a few pounds, so i started to cut out all the **** i normally eat, it wasn't till my wife(sarah) told me that drinking 6 litres of diet coke a day wasn't normal, so of to the the doc's i went thinking that maybe i had a kidney infection or something. 1 hour later i'm at Pinderfields diabetes centre been given 16mmol of insulin and been told that i'm now a type 1 diabetic, my blood sugar was 26.5 and my keytones where ++3. It came as a bit of a surprise but it could have been worse(the big C).

Have been reading some of the other posts on on the site and have 1001 other questions to ask. so I'll be back later with some questions i think you guys will be able to help me with.

Thank's Rick......

P.S. Don't ever go to Maybush Medical Centre went in with a smile :) came out with diabetes :( (ONLY JOKING) :lol: :lol:

2. Jen&Khaleb

Jen&Khaleb · Well-Known Member

Just wanted to say welcome. I am a parent of a diabetic but you will find that when you came home with diabetes so did the rest of your family. The more everyone knows about it the easier it will be to manage. I am hating diabetes right now because my T1 son is sick so his blood sugar is all over the place and I've had no sleep. Little bit selfish of me to say this and he has still been getting lots of cuddles and sympathy.

I have to rely on blood sugar trends and a fair bit of intuition to get through a day but the adults on this forum will probably have loads of knowledge to pass on. My only comment would be that managing diabetes does become a way of life (with a few hiccups) and it is important to not let it take over your life.

I've heard a lot of people end up relieved to find out they have diabetes. Some of the other things out there are a lot scarier. You'll be surprised to find out how many famous people out there who have diabetes also. I'm in Australia and can tell you a race car driver and a now retired footballer are type 1.

Bye Jen.

3. richardpa

richardpa · Member

Thanks for the advice Jen, will take on board what you have said.

Hope your son Khaleb gets well soon

Thanks again....Rick....

4. fergus

fergus Type 1 · Well-Known Member

Hi Rick and welcome to the forum.
    With a positive attitude like yours, you'll be on top of of this before you know it.

All the best,

fergus

5. kareeta

kareeta Type 1 · Well-Known Member

Hi there

Hope you are doing ok! I didn't realise Pinders had a Diabetes centre, I'm at Ponte :p The Nurses there are pretty good thankfully.

If I can be of help at all feel free to ask away

Karen

6. richardpa

richardpa · Member

Thanks guys for all the support.

It's nice to hear from other people who are in the same boat, belive this or not i work at pontefract at HARIBO........YES you heard right Haribo the sweet manufacturers, just my luck to become diabetic and be surounded by sweets.

once again thanks for the support it's well appreciated

Rick.......

The diabetic unit at pinder's is called the EDNA COATES DIABETIC CENTRE It's a separate unit in the grouds of pinderfield hospital.

7. totsy

totsy Type 1 · Well-Known Member

i used to go to pinders centre but now have my diabetes looked after by my gp :D

8. kareeta

kareeta Type 1 · Well-Known Member

I wish we had a GP or Nurse who knew about Diabetes :roll:

9. totsy

totsy Type 1 · Well-Known Member

my diabetic nurse is great :D

10. richardpa

richardpa · Member

My diabetes nurse is fantastic, she rings me every 2 days or so to see how i'm doing and takes my blood sugar numbers and advices me on my new levels of Insulin I need to take, She's a real star.

Will be going in on Friday to have my carb and diet consultation.........not looking forward to that..this is where they tell me that i'm fat and can only eat lentils for the rest of my life..lol :lol:

Will be told to stop smoking soon..me thinks?? :cry:

11. acko

acko · Member

Lentils are brilliant! Well ok anyway. Remember The Youngs Ones and Neil?

Hope it goes well and it is good to see you being positive. I have been Type 1 for 31 years and only now getting to accept that I can't fight it I have to control it and live with it. If you want any tips on how not to control contact me!!

Good luck. :)

12. richardpa

richardpa · Member

Thanks acko, will be contacting you soon for some of that bad advice :twisted: ......does it come in leaflet form ...lol :lol:

• Meet the Community

Find support, connect with others, ask questions and share your experiences with people with diabetes, their carers and family.

Did you know: 7 out of 10 people improve their understanding of diabetes within 6 months of being a Diabetes Forum member. Get the Diabetes Forum App and stay connected on iOS and Android

Grab the app!
  • Tweet with us

• Like us on Facebook