new scared

help
What do I do

xfieldok

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Welcome to the forum. Have a read of the link in my signature, then tell us what you eat in a typical day please.

HSSS

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Welcome. You’ve come to a great place for support. As above let us know what you typically eat and drink each day. Also were you told what your hb1ac (3 month average) reading was? Are you on any medication for diabetes? Have you got anything to test ketones? How or why have you lost 40lbs? These all make a difference to what we suggest.

you’re thirsty, hungry, peeing a lot so actually not feeling completely fine.

what others eat or drink isn’t the issue. It’s what you eat and drink (pop?) that will be causing you to have such high fingerprick readings.

Dazza_K567

Welcome. You’ve come to a great place for support. As above let us know what you typically eat and drink each day. Also were you told what your hb1ac (3 month average) reading was? Are you on any medication for diabetes? Have you got anything to test ketones? How or why have you lost 40lbs? These all make a difference to what we suggest.

you’re thirsty, hungry, peeing a lot so actually not feeling completely fine.

what others eat or drink isn’t the issue. It’s what you eat and drink (pop?) that will be causing you to have such high fingerprick readings.

Weight loss wise
Dunno
Eating as I always do

massive loss in the first few weeks
Now levelled off to about 3-5 lbs a week

as for feeling fine
Yeah doing everything as normal

blood glucose was today 25.6mmol/l

had bloods done monday results next week

all the rest im unsure about

xfieldok

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Personally. I woulld drop the pear. Did you check the carbs n he soup?

Andydragon

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Weight loss wise
Dunno
Eating as I always do

as for feeling fine

That rate of weight loss is pretty drastic, most info I ever read talks about 1kg a week being top end, however coming from a higher weight to start maybe not totally unexpected but should be wary as rapid weight drop can be a type 1 symptom (it is type two also though)

Those blood levels are also incredibly high, so having the blood test is important. But what meds have they given you?

Dazza_K567

That rate of weight loss is pretty drastic, most info I ever read talks about 1kg a week being top end, however coming from a higher weight to start maybe not totally unexpected but should be wary as rapid weight drop can be a type 1 symptom (it is type two also though)

Those blood levels are also incredibly high, so having the blood test is important. But what meds have they given you?

metformin 500mg 3x a day
Pioglitazone 30mg 1x a day

HSSS

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Weight loss wise
Dunno
Eating as I always do

as for feeling fine

More than 5lb a week and you’re eating the same as before the weight loss began? Is that right? And no wonder you are hungry. That’s barely any food at all for an adult man (not sure of your height). I’m taking it from the emphasis on grilled and dry fried it means you’re focusing on low fat foods? Did you read the link @xfieldok gave you in post 2?

Those readings are very high if you’re not eating any carbs. if you at any point feel unwell please call 111 and tell them how high your readings are. It’s less common in type 2 but there’s a thing called DKA which is serious and need urgent medical help. It’s normally high blood sugars and also high ketones. Another called HONK that happens in type 2. Not trying to scare you as sadly lots of people go around for ages with equally high numbers but nevertheless please don’t ignore any unwellness alongside them.

the very high numbers and sudden unexplained weight loss means it is possible you could be type 1. Did they do any checks for this (ask if you don’t know) or assume you were type 2 based on age and size?

Ketones tests are usually either strips you pee on or another type of strip you put into a meter like the blood glucose ones but for ketones.

Last edited: