Hi, do i have prediabetes?

Bojansthlm

I have read almost all of studies and I used them as a base to do some tests on the issues that concerns about my health.

I am a guy, 32 years old, I train almost everyday and have been doing sports all my life.

I always have high fasting blood glucose, about 5.8 but my hba1ac is 32 and from what I have been told is that I am not pre diabetic. I have also done OGTT together with insulin, glucagon.
My results were as following:
Glucose was 95 after 2 hours.
My fasting insulin was 34 pmol and after 1 hour it was 320 pmol , 2 hours 138 pmol then after 3 hours it was 34 again. So I think I follow pattern 1 in Craft hyper insulin studies which is normal.

What worries me is that my fasting levels.
Last 3 years fasting suger has been between 5-6 in the morning and it goes down to 5 2-3 hours afrer waking up. When read ADA its seems that i have prediabetes. Does someone have the same issue bot not prediabetic?

Thanks everyone

Juicyj

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Hypos, rude people, ignorance and grey days.
Hello and welcome @Bojansthlm :)

Have you seen your GP regarding your results ? No one here is able to give you a diagnosis so you should visit your GP if this is concerning you. Here's the information from this site on pre-diabetes:

Testing for prediabetes
Either a fasting plasma glucose test or an HbA1c test may be used to diagnose type 2 diabetes or prediabetes.

The following results indicate the presence of prediabetes:
  • Fasting plasma glucose: 5.5 mmol/L to 6.9 mmol/L
  • HbA1c: 42 to 47 mmol/mol (6.0 to 6.4%) [361]

Reactions: Prem51

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
As said above, we cannot diagnose you. Only your doctor can do that.

All I can say is that fasting blood glucose is not a good indicator of diabetes because there are too many variables involved. This is why, in the UK, the HbA1c is the test used for diabetes and pre-diabetes, occasionally an OGGT. Most surgeries rarely do a FBG test these days. They go straight to the HbA1c, even on normal routine medical reviews.

You clearly had no problem metabolising the 75g pure glucose on your OGTT. Your score at 2 hours would have to be over 140mg/dl to be considered pre-diabetic. If I were you I would stop worrying.

Bojansthlm

Thanks, the doctor here in sweden says that i shouldnt worry but reading ADA makes me in the prediabetic range.

But my levels always goes down before lunch and always 5.5-6 in the morning. Can it be down phenomen?

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dawn Phenomenon is a natural event that happens to everyone, including non diabetics. The liver dumps glucose and the pancreas reacts to this almost instantly by producing insulin to clear the glucose out of the blood stream and into the cells for energy. This is all controlled by the growth hormone, cortisol, glucagon and adrenalin hormones. This remarkable system breaks down in most type 2 diabetics due to insulin resistance. (where the cells start to reject the insulin) When this happens, the glucose stays in the blood stream until such time as enough insulin is secreted to disperse it. The higher the insulin resistance, the higher the blood glucose will be and the longer it will take to clear. It can also go wrong when the regulating hormones go wonky for some reason - stress, anxiety, poor sleep, restless night, fear, exercise and so on..

This explains it far better than I can
https://www.dietdoctor.com/the-dawn-phenomenon