Hi everyone, I'm new to the forum.

Anthony1738

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Boom Boom Club Music (cant see the point its not Music) Moto GP and Manchester United
Hi and welcome aboard! @robhill

Jump in and join us, start a new thread if you wish and tell us a little about your diabetes, and ask as many questions as you like.

Hb1Ac 12.9 to 5.7 in three months

Hi everyone, I have never posted on any forum before, I'm more of a reader than a writer but I love a challenge and I enjoy studying and learning new things. I am 63 years of age and I am retired in Thailand 3 years now and I believe its the last 3 years in which I developed type 2 Diabetes.

Just a bit of background, please stay with me here, I joined the Army at age 17 and served 10 years, upon leaving the service I embarked upon a career in the Haulage Industry and held many positions from Driver to Manager and then Director of my own company, I always ate healthily, I excersised regularly and remained fit, even to this day I walk 8 Kms Twice a week, play badminton 3 times per week and in between I Cycle 20 kms 2 or three time per week and swim most days. However for the past 25 years or so I have suffered with High blood pressure, a level around the 140/85 mark sometimes higher sometimes lower, just below the level at which medication is prescribed, however on a routine check with my doctor my Blood pressure had risen to 168/95, at this point my doctor asked me the question, when were you last checked for Diabetes?, 2 years ago I replied (changed doctors in the meantime), I advise you to do one right now he said.

OK the results horrified me, FSB 295, Hb1Ac 12.9, Tryglglicerides 490, Overall cholesterol 260, basically I was a mess but I never realised it because I had no obvious symptoms, by the way I was not overweight my BMI was 24.5, I was devastated, I explained to him my so called healthy lifestyle, but with further ado he pronounced you drink too much! and explained about the high trygliceride levels were caused by over indulgence on the beer, so while I sat there in total shock I vaguegly remember the doctor trying to describe a treatment plan, anyway I left the Doctors with a bagfull of medication a total of seven pills per day, prior to this i had barely taken a pill all my life, so after a couple daysI gathered my thoughts and decided to learn how to beat this, without the **** pills!

The internet is a fantastic place to be when one is in need of information, I quickly found this page which was a great starting point and I read through the forum for type 2 with great interest especially the posts refering to Professor Roy Taylor and his study at Newcastle University, this lead to Dr Micheal Mosley and his literature on the 5/2 diet and other eminent people who specialize in diabetes and studied for until my eyes nearly fell out, 2 months of solid research, I then developed my own plan to fit my lifestyle, and it worked a treat with very little effort on my part, i must say.

And here it is free of charge and if it only helps 1 person my mission will be accomplished.

1. I asked myself the following questions:

Do I want to reverse this condition?
Am I prepared to make lifestyle changes?
Do I have the strength of mind to achieve this?

2. I answered yes to all 3

3. I immediately stopped drinking beer

4. I removed all Carbohydrates from my diet, Potatoe, Rice, Bread and Pasta (ALL OF IT)

5. I replaced the Carbs with fresh Vegetables, as many dark leafy Greens as possible

6. I reduced my meat portions to 4oz per serving

7. I drank alot more water, didnt touch any canned or bottled drinks and replaced beer with soda water and green tea.

8. I introduced High Intestity Interval Training to my excersise shedule for 20 mins 3 times per week.

9. I bought a blood Glucose meter and monitered my level on a structured basis, I took readings three times per day, Fasting, 90 to 120 mins after eating and at bedtime time, I presented these tests results to my doctor each month.

10. Each Monday I fasted, I ate my last meal at 4pm Sunday and ate nothing untill 5pm Monday, only water and green tea.

And thats about it folks, it worked, I was first diagnosed 24/06/2017, and my latest results were done 16/09/2017 that just short of 3 months and heres the Numbers:

Hb1Ac 5.7
Cholesterol 178
Triglyceride 95
Blood Pressure 110/75

NO MEDICATION - JOB DONE

Thanks for your patience reading this, sorry if I was boring at times, but I do believe my story is worth telling, and I hope and pray that it will inspire one or two of you to never give up hope and dont be afraid to take this horrible sneaky disease by the neck and throttle it out of your life.

Jaylee

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi @Anthony1738 ,

Welcome to the forum.

Great story. You know. You are more than welcome to start your own thread with your post, if you wish.?

Just give me a nod & I can set this up for you...

In the meantime I'll tag in @bulkbiker , he's achived some great results with fasting? I'll also call up @AM1874 .

Glad to see you here Anthony!

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi @Anthony1738 and welcome.
Like you I have removed as many carbs as I can from my diet, skip breakfast so fast every day (as well as doing a few extended fasts). Isn't it great when something so easy has such a huge effect on our health. Well done indeed for your success.
And enjoy Thailand! Somewhere I have often thought would be a great place to retire to.

AM1874

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Not much
Hi @Anthony1738 .. and welcome
WOW!! .. well done and many congrats on your fantastic results in such a short time :happy::happy:
If I was a betting man I'd put money on you seeing numbers below the diabetic/prediabetic thresholds by the time of your next 3-monthly tests in December
I also think that you should post your story on the "Success Stories and Testimonials" for others to read .. it's a real testament to the impact that the "triple whammy" strategy of diet, exercise and testing has on diabetes management and control

Congrats again ...

Anthony1738

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Boom Boom Club Music (cant see the point its not Music) Moto GP and Manchester United
Hi @Anthony1738 and welcome.
Like you I have removed as many carbs as I can from my diet, skip breakfast so fast every day (as well as doing a few extended fasts). Isn't it great when something so easy has such a huge effect on our health. Well done indeed for your success.
And enjoy Thailand! Somewhere I have often thought would be a great place to retire to.

Hi @bulkbiker, nice photo with Dr Jason Fung, he inspired me to try fasting, and it worked, your quite correct in thinking Thailand is a great place to retire, great people, great food, and most of all the weather.

Anthony1738

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Hi @Anthony1738 ,

Welcome to the forum.

Great story. You know. You are more than welcome to start your own thread with your post, if you wish.?

In the meantime I'll tag in @bulkbiker , he's achived some great results with fasting? I'll also call up @AM1874 .

Hi @Anthony1738 ,

Welcome to the forum.

Yes please set this as a new thread for me, it would be great thankyou for your welcome note too, cheers

Reactions: Jaylee

Anthony1738

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Hi @Anthony1738 .. and welcome
WOW!! .. well done and many congrats on your fantastic results in such a short time :happy::happy:
If I was a betting man I'd put money on you seeing numbers below the diabetic/prediabetic thresholds by the time of your next 3-monthly tests in December
I also think that you should post your story on the "Success Stories and Testimonials" for others to read .. it's a real testament to the impact that the "triple whammy" strategy of diet, exercise and testing has on diabetes management and control

Congrats again ...
Thankyou for your kind words, I will publish my next lab test results of course, and will try to transfer this post to success stories, when I learn how, its a probably a copy and paste job I think?

Jaylee

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Yes please set this as a new thread for me, it would be great thankyou for your welcome note too, cheers

Job done for you Anthony. I took the liberty of also giving a spangly title to your thread. :cool:
Though, your more than welcome to amend this, if unsuitable...?

Happy to help!

Anthony1738

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Job done for you Anthony. I took the liberty of also giving a spangly title to your thread. :cool:
Though, your more than welcome to amend this, if unsuitable...?

Happy to help!
Thank you @Jaylee, yes I think the title is appropriate

Reactions: Jaylee

Kentoldlady1

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Well done!!! I was diagnosed on 26th june and have just had my second hba1c, hoping for similar results. I have to agree that this forum is a great place.
I am a bit in awe of your exercise routine. Did your doctor have any worries about the hit and a higher bp?
And once again, congratulations!!!!!