Hi Everyone!

Chasida

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Pubs/clubs
I have to say that most of the time I'm quite good at keeping my blood glucose levels in check but (naughty me) after my cheese omelette tonight, I gave in to a desire for a toffee apple steamed pudding.
I did add fresh raspberries and double cream to it ... weak attempt to lesson the damage ... but 90 minutes after eating, my BGL had risen to 12.8 !!!
I mean I NEVER hit such a high number!
What I'm wishing to ask though .. does anyone here know if a brisk walk would have brought this down quicker, or lessoned the damage?
Is it bad to still be so high after 90 minutes?
To think that this morning, following porridge with raspberries added, my levels only went from 6.3 prior eating to 7.5 (70 mins later), and then I messed up tonight :(

therower

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi @Chasida . As a T1 I don't like to advise on T2 issues but in your case I'll make an exception.
Firstly 12.8 isn't the end of the world and a 12+ once in a while isn't going to be the end of the world.
You're a human being 1st, diabetic 2nd. Life is for living, having fun, being happy the list goes on.
If the pudding made you any of those things then it can only be good.
Just don't make it an everyday treat then go blaming me.:):):):):):)

DeejayR

Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
Your life, your risk. I've done similar and will probably again. But not often. The point is you're testing your BS and you know what's going on. I don't eat a slice of cake to see if I'm suddenly magically unaffected by it -- I do it because I fancy a piece of cake with my coffee in a cafe.
EDIT I nearly always have a mug cake in the evenings. It's sweet, gooey and SAFE.

peterjones6000

Type of diabetes
Type 3c
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Miserable people
I could eat your pud NOW! and suffer the consequences later yummy

Hiitsme

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I do find a short walk helps. As I was diagnosed as diabetic with a fasting reading of 18 I don't think a one off high reading is too bad. I very occasionally have a slice of cake and that did need walking off. I often test after 90 mins so I can then do a walk and hopefully back down by 2 hours.

Ems78

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Your life, your risk. I've done similar and will probably again. But not often. The point is you're testing your BS and you know what's going on. I don't eat a slice of cake to see if I'm suddenly magically unaffected by it -- I do it because I fancy a piece of cake with my coffee in a cafe.
EDIT I nearly always have a mug cake in the evenings. It's sweet, gooey and SAFE.

What's a mug cake?

Chasida

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Pubs/clubs
Hey thanks everyone!
So many of you seem to think it's okay, but I worry because of my eyes.
I already have the most aggressive form of Glaucoma, and my first diabetic eye test two months ago showed that I already have background retinopathy (and I've only known about being type 2 for ten months!) so naturally I want to make sure I cause the least amount of problems to my sight as possible.
Oh ... by the way .. I tested 45 minutes after the high reading and it was down to 5.6 which amazed me! Hope coming down quickly isn't bad too?