Hi everyone,

Sparkle1953

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I have been following keto program since the 28th Dec last year. I am due the Ist week in April to get my next HBA1c test results. The tests before that were 7.7 (61) so am expecting much better results this time.

Doc usually gives me the pathology slip for the next set of tests and I wondered if there were extra ones that she could include? I was thinking B12, Thyroid function and Vit D.

I am on Janumet XR 100mg. Have been doing OMAD and have stayed in Ketosis for the majority of the time. Our goal is to halve the Janumet meds if tests this time are much improved.

As usual your input is much appreciated.

Prem51

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
@Sparkle1953 I don't know what doctors include in Australia. Here in UK it seems to be dependent on the individual GP.
My HbA1c tests have always included thyroid function as I have hypothyroidism. I didn't get Vitamin D tests until my last HbA1c - I saw a different doctor and I think he noticed that my feet had lighter skin where my sandal straps had prevented tanning over the summer, and he thought I hadn't absorbed enough sunlight. I do take Vit D and Vit K capsules though, and the test showed my Vit D was ok.
You could ask for other tests to be included.

M

Member496333

If you’re able, C-peptide and/or fasting insulin. Insulin is of paramount importance. The lower the better when trying to improve sensitivity to it. In my view minimising blood insulin concentration is more important than glucose/HbA1c.

Reactions: Sparkle1953
M

Member496333

Fasting insulin is just a measure of your blood insulin concentration when you haven’t eaten. Usually overnight.

M

Member496333

Ok thanks. The link I posted made it all a bit scary.

I suspect that is the purpose of the article. Fasting is one of the most effective dietary strategies for improving insulin sensitivity. But anyway that wasn’t the point of my comments regarding fasting insulin :)

Sparkle1953

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I suspect that is the purpose of the article. Fasting is one of the most effective dietary strategies for improving insulin sensitivity. But anyway that wasn’t the point of my comments regarding fasting insulin :)

I realised that :))

Last edited:

Sparkle1953

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I have been following the low carb/keto program since the 28th Dec last year. My HBAIc results had been 9.8 (83), 7.4 (58), 8.2 (66), and in
Dec last year it was 7.7 (61).

Have just picked up my results from Doc and they are .......( drumroll)...
6.2 (45).

Doc was stunned by the huge turnaround and asked what I had been doing to which I answered, “Opposite to everything that is being taught to diabetics currently”. My fasting insulin was 7! That meant I was no longer insulin resistant. The number that really surprised me was the cholesterol no’s. 3.5. This was the one I was nervous about given how much more fat I was eating. The cholesterol was done as a measured fraction.

She also told me that none of her patients ever get these results because mostly they expect the medication to do the work.

At my heaviest I was 74 .5 kilos. ( I am 170cm tall). Weighed in this morning just on 66. I now have a waistline and can wear wide belts again.

I am officially now pre diabetic.

Just before I left she asked about meal plans and what I was actually eating. Next thing she’s on her computer looking up Keto Mousakka, and commenting on how delicious it sounds. Her husband needs to lose weight apparently. I suggested that she not tell him it was Keto.

I was so excited by the results it sent my BP up, and as I left the surgery she gave me another big hug.

On another note.....I think that the only way to get doctors etc on board will be to consistently show them there is another way.

I just want to thank everybody who contributed to this fabulous result. I will just be planning three months in front at a time, as I now want to bring it down lower and maintain my weight. Don’t want to go down further than 64kgs .

Reactions: Prem51

Sparkle1953

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Fasting insulin is just a measure of your blood insulin concentration when you haven’t eaten. Usually overnight.

Fasting insulin was 7. Pretty chuffed with that. Doc said she doesn’t usually get requests to do it, so thanks for the heads up.