Hi From a New Member...and of course a question!

viv1969

Hi there everyone.
Please bear with me as this may ramble a bit.

On Wednesday of last week (March 26) I went to my doctor to discuss a variety of symptoms with her. The main symptoms were : Chronic Fatigue, Joint pain which at times is very painful indeed...especially arms/elbows, Horrid taste in my mouth, loss of labido, very dry skin and prone to sores/infections.

She sent me to have a barrage of blood tests done and told me to call back in 10 days for the results. I had the blood taken on Thursday, and on Friday afternoon the Drs surgery called me at home and asked me to make an appointment to discuss my results. She wouldn't tell me which result, but made an appointment for me on Thursday 3rd April.

Needless to say I've spent the weekend worried sick about it so I called the surgery this morning to see if I can get in any sooner....fat chance. It was a different woman on the phone though, and she did tell me that the only 2 results which came back abnormal were blood sugar level and cholesterol.

So my question really is 2-fold.
A) Are any of my symptoms typical of diabetes? I do get very thirsty sometimes, but only sometimes.
B) a simple one...am I diabetic?

I am 38, overweight and my father had diabetes (type 2)
I'm not saying that a diabetes diagnosis is the end of the world, in fact ANY diagnosis and treatment that will aleviate these symptoms is fine by me, it's just that from the little reading I've done I didn't think my symptoms were very typical.

I'd appreciate any opinions and I thank you for your time.

sugarless sue

Master
Dislikes
Rude people! Not being able to do the things I want to do.
I just hate it when they won't give results over the phone!I'm afraid you will just have to wait till Thursday,what a bummer.If your blood sugars are up they will more than likely want to do a fasting blood glucose test before they commit to saying whether you are a diabetic.This means you will fast from the night before,then they take blood and give you a glass and a half of glucose to drink[[[shudder]]]they then get you to come back in two hours and take yet more blood.It is the result of this test that they usually take as an indicator of diabetes.

At least you have found this site and welcome to the forum,please keep us up to date on what is happening as there is lots of help here.

Knowledge is the key to control

shellie08

I Would expect them to see you sooner if there was an indication of diabetes. From what i know, these symptoms are not typical of diabetes, but there is a chance due to your dad being diagnosed. I have type 1 and my grandad has type 2.

Dont worry, i'm sure the doctor will sort u out! hope all is well,

Michelle

Lynda Kay

Hay viv1969,

Welcome. Your doctors should be able to give you a diagnosis.

Chronic Fatigue has a multitude of causes, but my research and own experience where bg's are concerned, shows that an abundance of insulin in your system will cause fatigue. Do some study of the endocrine system to get an understanding of insulin response and insulin resistance. I believe that both cause an abundance of insulin to be in the blood stream and therefore zapping our energy.

Joint pain is usually a sign of inflammation which I believe is caused by toxin, bacteria, virus or fungus build up that usually settles in the joints.

Sores and infections are signs that our body's immune system is not functioning properly.

All your symptoms could be low nutrient levels keeping your body from naturally doing what it was designed to do. The immune system cannot do it's job of keeping hormonal balance and detoxifying without proper fuel (natural nutrients).

I recommend changing to a low glycemic, organic, wholefood diet that can lower high bg's and lower levels of toxins in your body. I also recommend adding a superfood to your diet giving your worn down immune system the extra boost it needs to function properly.

Your on the right track coming here to educate yourself. Knowledge and nutrition are key to your health.

Hope the best for you. :)

Happy Trails,
Proverbs 17:22

Dennis

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Non-insulin injectable medication (incretin mimetics)
Dislikes
People who join web forums to be agressive and cause trouble
Hi Viv and welcom to the forum,

The fatigue is certainly symptomatic of a high blood sugar level, as is loss of libido and strange taste (usually a pear-drops taste). However I wouldn't be too worried about whether or not you have shown diabetes symptoms - I was diagnosed after a blood test for something unconnected and I had experienced none of the normal symptoms. Many other members on here have said the same.

Diabetes doesn't just suddenly happen and your blood sugars have probably been running high for some time. Don't get yourself uptight about the delay in seeing your GP - a few days more isn't going to make any great difference. Don't worry - nothing is going to drop off before Thursday!!

I am interested in what you say about that fasting test, sugarless sue because I never had one of those. Is that USUAL to have one of those tests done then? I don't doubt me having diabetes, I'm just curious to know why I wasn't give such a test.

sugarless sue

Master
Dislikes
Rude people! Not being able to do the things I want to do.
Are you type 1 or 2 Choc? Fasting is probably more for type2's as type 1's tend to have a rapid onset whereas type 2's are more gradual and not so obvious.

Knowledge is the key to control

chocoholic

Well, they ummed and aahed and said I was Type 2. (Though tablets didn't really work for me very well and I was put on insulin twice a day...Novomix30)

viv1969

Hey thanks for all your replies.
My doctor has indeed diagnosed me with Diabetes on the basis of a fasting blood glucose level of 12.2 mmol.
I have to go see her again this Thursday to discuss treatment(s) and also daily maintenance (as she called it)
Based on other blood tests she also diagnosed Rheumatoid Arthritis (explaning the joint pains) and is trying to set me up with appointment to see an Endocrinologist and Rheumatologist on the same day.
It's good to now know what is making me feel so bad, and to know that from now on we'll be working on doing something about it!