Hi from a newly diagnosed type 2

Becks20

Hello,

I was diagnosed around 2 weeks ago and I am still very confused.
I am 22 years old with type 2. (Yes, I know very young).
I don't do much exersise due to a knee injury which is slowly getting better.

I don't know what I can and can't eat. I got told to eat loads of carbs, but on here I there are people saying not to eat carbs & eat fruit.

I have an appointment in August (after being diagnosed in June) as they have a long ish waiting list. The doctor wants me to control my diabetes with diet at the moment.

Anyone got any tips?

Thanks,

Becks :)

kjt57

Hi, Welcome to the forum, I am also quite new to the forum but someone will answer your questions soon. There is always plenty of advice and support available.
You could try reading viewtopic.php?f=20&t=17088
It is advice for newly dignosed members.

Keith :)

anna29

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Cruelty to Animals/Children
Liars/Manipulators/Bullying
Hi becks20, Welcome to us all here, yep it is indeedy confusing when you first start out so many do's and dont's eh? Depending on area where you live it can be frustrating to have to wait some time for a follow through appt. In between your appts you do have us here with help, support and suggestions to help you along. It will take some time to settle and find your way to what works for just you. Then it wont feel as scary or daunting. As we are all individual with different tastes with food and where your BS hit and sit at. There are other younger members on here too that am sure will be in touch and help/support you also. Daisy will be along soon to let you have a great link to read and start off with as a newly diagnosed member. Please keep in touch with us all and ask any questions you feel/need to . Anna.x :D

daisy1

Legend
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Cruelty towards animals.
Hi Becks and welcome to the forum :) Here is some advice which was written for new members by our friends Ken and Sue, former monitors and this should help you get started on looking after your diabetes. The question about carbs is difficult as not everyone agrees on how many you should eat. The best thing is to test before and after meals as it says in this advice and you will see what each food does to your levels. Then you can either reduce the portions until your levels are OK, or cut the food out altogether. Don't hesitate to ask questions as someone is always ready to help.

Here is the advice that Ken and I, as Forum Monitors, usually give to newly diagnosed Diabetics. We hope that these few ideas gained through experience help you to gain control and give you some understanding of Diabetes. This forum doesn't always follow the recommended dietary advice, you have to work out what works for you as we are all different.

It's not just 'sugars' you need to avoid, diabetes is an inability to process glucose properly. Carbohydrate converts, in the body, to glucose. So it makes sense to reduce the amount of carbohydrate that you eat which includes sugars.

For more information on CARBOHYDRATE see here:

viewtopic.php?f=3&t=20306

This is NOT a low carb diet suggestion, just a reduction in your intake of carbohydrate. You have to decide yourself how much of a reduction will keep your blood glucose levels in control.

The main carbs to avoid OR reduce are the complex or starchy carbohydrates such as bread, potatoes, pasta, rice, starchy root veg and also any flour based products. The starchy carbs all convert 100% to glucose in the body and raise the blood sugar levels significantly.

If you are on Insulin you may find that reducing the carb intake also means that you can reduce your dose of insulin. This can help you to keep weight gain down as Insulin tends to make you put on weight and eventually cause insulin resistance. This should be done slowly so as not to cause hypos.

The way to find out how different foods affect you is to do regular daily testing and keep a food diary for a couple of weeks. If you test just before eating, then two hours after eating, you will see the effect of certain foods on your blood glucose levels. Some foods, which are slow acting carbohydrates, are absorbed more slowly so you may need to test three or even four hours later to see the effect that these have on your blood glucose levels.

Buy yourself a carb counter book (you can get these on-line) and you will be able to work out how much carbs you are eating, when you test, the reading two hours after should be roughly the same as the before eating reading, if it is then that meal was fine, if it isn’t then you need to check what you have eaten and think about reducing the portion size of carbs.

When you are buying products check the total carbohydrate content, this includes the sugar content. Do not just go by the amount of sugar on the packaging as this is misleading to a diabetic.

As for a tester, try asking the nurse/doctor and explain that you want to be proactive in managing your own diabetes and therefore need to test so that you can see just how foods affect your blood sugar levels. Hopefully this will work ! Sometimes they are not keen to give Type 2’s the strips on prescription, (in the UK) but you can but try!!

For TIPS FOR STRIPS see here:

viewtopic.php?f=20&t=19002#p173253

If you are an Insulin user in theory you should have no problem getting test strips.

The latest 2011 NICE guidelines for Bg levels are as follows:
Fasting (waking and before meals).......between 4 - 7 mmol/l...(Type 1 & 2)
2 hrs after meals........................no more than 8.5 mmol/l.....( Type 2)

2hrs after meals......................... no more than 9 mmol/l ......(Type 1)

If you are able to keep the post meal numbers lower, so much the better.

It also helps if you can do at least 30 minutes moderate exercise a day, it can be split into 10 min sessions to start with. It doesn't have to be strenuous.

The above is just general advice and it is recommended that you discuss with your HCP before making any changes. You can also ask questions on the forum on anything that is not clear.

Finally a few QUESTIONS TO ASK AT DIABETES CLINIC.

viewtopic.php?f=20&t=17091

Sue/Ken.

Becks20

I must admit, before I read the above I thought only type 1 had to measure and asses their blood.
Is it worth while waiting for my appointment (on the 10th Aug) to see if I can get strips, or should I buy some now?

My dietician advised me to eat more carbohdrates (like potatoes & pasta) and then to eat fruit after as the natural sugars won't be as bad (if that makes sense). Is she correct?

Are milk, cheese and eggs ok to eat?

Sorry for so many questions again,

Thanks in advance for your help,

Becks

jopar

Hi Becks

Your dietiacan is semi right, as in carbs in pasta, rice etc are a lot better than those found in highly processed and/or fast food (Junk food) But loads probably isn't going to be the same as you think it means..

Plenty of starchy carbs for one individual is a lot different than another persons...

Take me for example, a couple tbsp of rice with my curry is plenty of carbs, but for another individual their notion of plenty is probable about 10 tbsp if not more of rice...

So you've really got to work out what amount is suitable for you, part of this is testing to see what effect different type/amounts of carbs impact on your blood glucose and the level that helps to maintain an healthy weight or if needs be helps to reduce weight you may be better no having..

Basic start is to cut out all the junk food as this is where you find the highest concentration in small amounts... I would say have a look at the GI index diet very useful for looking at how different foods can impact on the blood glucose.. Then look at the diet you've been eating see what changes you can make to improve.. Then it's a case of getting hold of a BG meter and testing strips and see what and how food impacts on your blood glucose...

Exercise is very good with helping to stablise blood glucose levels, I know that you said that you've had a knee injury, but exercise can be anything as long as it's moving the body, so it may be if mobility is an issue and limited excess to a swimming pool, sitting in a chair and doing upper body movement does help...

moonfruit

hello Becks,
I'm also new to diabetes, diagnosed around the same time as you and also given the same advice! my doctor gave me the web address and told me that diabetes.co.uk was a 'good website' and he was definately right.
the way I look at it is that although the doctors and medical people are very adept in medicine and theories about diabetes; the kind people on this site are LIVING with diabetes!
I have found a wealth of information on this site and can not thank the members enough for their help, reassurance and support through this massive journey...your in good hands xx

Defren

My honest advice ditch the advice given by your GP. You are unlikely to get a meter and strips, but there again, some of us have them, so it will depend a lot on your GP/DSN.

You must reduce your carbs, to what level? That's not for me to say. The general rule of thumb is try 150g a day and test. If you find your BG is high, reduce the carbs, or if for example you love rice but it spikes you, try again with Basmati rice, and a smaller portion. Fruit is a minefield. Most fruits will spike a diet only or diet/medication only T2. Banana's, melons and grapes are usually a no no, but if you like them try and test. The majority of us find the best fruits are ones ending in berry, Strawberry, raspberry, blueberry etc. Again try and test. Veg; the best veg usually is that grown above ground, as it is less carby. But once again, try and test. Dairy is fine, as are all meats, poultry, game and fish. Watch out for the dairy if you are trying to loose weight though.

Hope this helps. The very best advice I can give is keep asking questions, someone will always help.