Crocodile

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
I can't have it often
Hi Everyone,

I'm a 61 yo fella with type 2 which was diagnosed in 2016 after my glasses required constant prescription changes, weight loss and frequent toilet visits. I had no idea what was wrong nor did I feel unwell but I thought I'd see my GP just in case. I told him:
1. I keep having to get my glasses changed every couple of months
2. I'm trying to lose weight by cutting back the kilojoules but I seem to be losing quicker than I should be.
3. My wife tells me that I pee a lot and I drink a lot of water.

He instantly reached for the finger prick and glucose meter. My BG read 21.5 and he told me to fast for 12 hours and ordered another 'official test'. This one came back at 15.6 and he confirmed that I am a type 2 diabetic. Don't know how long I was like this.

It took a few months to get it down to a more acceptable level with diet and metformin.

I started to develop mild numbness in my toes and very mild in some fingers. Since then I keep BG as low as possible with very fussy choices about diet. have found that my neuropathy is worse when I get short spikes in BG even though hBa1c is good. I've since been even more fussy about what I'm eating and so far it seems to be under control.

Thanks for the forum.
Glenn

Mike d

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
idiots who will not learn
Very VERY typical from newbies so welcome :)

First tip. Stop getting new prescriptions as they waste a lot of dosh (I'm Australian). Buy a chemist cheap pair until the blood sugars settle down

Second ... you're cutting back on carbs ..... as you should

More will follow :)

Mike

Crocodile

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
I can't have it often
Thanks Mike, good to hear from a local. I have a good mate who is also a diabetic but he's type 1 so it's all a bit different. Any other type 2's I know have big problems due to not looking after it. What do you mean by buy a chemist cheap pair ?

Thanks,
Glenn

Crocodile

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
I can't have it often
Ah I get it now. You mean glasses. No new prescriptions for nearly a year since BGs came down. Can't use the chemist ones anyway as I need progressive lenses and both eyes are different.

Thanks,
Glenn

Reactions: porl69

Mike d

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
idiots who will not learn
Magnified cheapies Glenn (10 bucks max) ... temporary but a lot better than prescription until the "house" is in order. All chemists sell them :)

DCUKMod

Master
Staff Member
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
@Crocodile - A number of people find they have transient symptoms of neuropathy and other issues in the early days of their diabetes. As you have identified, tight control really can help, but it can take the rest of our bodies longer to catch up with our health than it takes our blood glucose numbers to moderate.

Several people on here use R-ALA for neuropathy, with some decent success.

https://www.webmd.com/vitamins-supp...alpha-lipoic acid.aspx?activeingredientid=767

If you consider it, please ensure you choose R-ALA

I know @Bluetit1802 has taken R-ALA. I have no idea if she is still taking it, but I'm sure she could comment more fully than I.

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Yes, I was taking R-ALA until a couple of months ago. My neuropathy was nothing to do with diabetes, it was caused by chemotherapy treatment (a very common side effect) but I imagine it is the same thing. The R-ALA certainly helped a great deal. @Kristin251 is another who has had success with it. It is prescribed by doctors in Germany for diabetic neuropathy, although I believe this is in severe cases and is injected in large doses. (unless things have changed recently)

The R-ALA is the natural 100% ALA. (R stands for R fraction) and has twice the strength of the plain ALA. If you buy the plain ALA you need a bigger dose to get the same effect.

This is where I bought mine.
https://www.healthmonthly.co.uk/swa... Double Strength R-Fraction Alpha Lipoic Acid

Crocodile

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
I can't have it often
Gee, thank you so much. I'll certainly look at this. My neuropathy isn't painful, just feels like I've got things in my shoes and some numbness. If it gets no worse I can live with it. Making sure it gets no worse is the challenge.

Thanks,
Glenn

Kristin251

Expert
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Gee, thank you so much. I'll certainly look at this. My neuropathy isn't painful, just feels like I've got things in my shoes and some numbness. If it gets no worse I can live with it. Making sure it gets no worse is the challenge.

Thanks,
Glenn
Mine wasn’t painful either, just annoying but it’s best to get rid of it.
It has many other health benefits so I continue to take it

http://www.lifeextension.com/magazine/2007/10/nu_lipoic_acid/page-01L

http://www.life-enhancement.com/mag...update-the-ideal-antioxidant-gets-even-better

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only

Thanks,
Glenn

Mine was never painful either, just tingling and some burning. I also felt like I had something in my shoes that were uncomfortable but not at all painful (like socks that had creased up). My feet have a good pulse and full sensation.
Just make sure you have your feet checked out for sensation and pulse. That is the main thing.

Crocodile

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
I can't have it often
Thanks to all that welcomed me on board and provided some noteworthy advice. I've ordered a bottle of R-ALA even though my neuropathy is not painful, just some numbness but I don't want to wait for pain. I don't know about the UK but about a year ago our illustrious government in their most infinite holy wisdom decided to cease the subsidized cost of test strips for T2 diabetics. Thankfully, my GP understands my need to manage BG very tightly due to the neuropathic issues and has signed a 6 month waiver for me. Stuffed if I know how other T2s will fare. I have more to add regarding PN but I'll leave that for the appropriate section on the board.

Glenn

D

Deleted member 308541

about a year ago our illustrious government in their most infinite holy wisdom decided to cease the subsidized cost of test strips for T2 diabetics. Thankfully, my GP understands my need to manage BG very tightly due to the neuropathic issues and has signed a 6 month waiver for me.
G'day mate and welcome from another T2 from Australia.

If you are not a member of the NDSS which is free to join here's the link.

https://www.ndss.com.au/

https://static.diabetesaustralia.co...alia/f973794b-69d8-4cca-b9c5-23b55cde2f62.pdf

Here's a link to the form from the NDSS for subsidised scripts.

https://static.diabetesaustralia.co...alia/14bee3f6-6933-45bc-8853-c7ef030586d2.pdf

Crocodile

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
I can't have it often
Thanks Tipetoo, I'm a member but subsidized strips are no longer available for type 2 without a sign off from the doctor. My GP did this for me. You seem to be well in control.

Glenn

D

Deleted member 308541

Thanks Tipetoo, I'm a member but subsidized strips are no longer available for type 2 without a sign off from the doctor. My GP did this for me. You seem to be well in control.

Glenn
I use that NDSS form at the bottom to get subsidised strips which my GP signs off on them, I put one in every six months to get the strips.

I pay $1.30 for 100 strips with a pension card, or it's $6.30 without the pension card being a member of NDSS.

Crocodile

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
I can't have it often
Tipetoo, that's about right. I'm paying $12 and a bit for 2 boxes. GP signs off because of my neuropathy issues.

D

Deleted member 308541

My GP ticks the "Clinical need for self monitoring" box, the diabetic educator I see every now and again she signs off on them as well. Some GP's around Bundaberg follow the guvmint line and will not do it.

It certainly beats paying $60.00 for them, that's for sure. :D

mushmonster

Type of diabetes
Don't have diabetes
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
Hey @Crocodile welcome. I'm a psychology student. I don't know much about your type but the only thing I can recommend is that you should try to stay positive. Your psychological state hugely affects your health. Good luck in your journey. :)