Hi I am new to this group, just been diagnosed ‘ pre-diabetic’.

Lobsang Tsultim

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Welcome, Caz! It's great that you've caught it at the pre-diabetic stage. Have a read, ask questions, and people will try to help based on their experiences. Personally, I found reducing my carbs gave me good results, reducing my HbA1c from 74 at diagnosis to 41 three months later, so I recommend looking at your food and perhaps adjusting its composition. I've also lost around 13 - 14kg in those 3 months, but that wasn't what I was aiming for, just a happy side-effect.

catinahat

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Reality tv
Welcome @CazH
As Lobsang Tsultim said its all about the carbs.
A few tweeks to your diet could be all you need to get yourself back into non diabetic territory.
When you are checking carb values of different foods, it's the total carbs that count, not the of which are sugar's bit. All of the carbs turn to glucose when digested except for the fiber which is listed separately in the uk.

• Agree
Reactions: jjraak and EllisB

EllisB

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hi @CazH,
I was only just over the threshold into type 2 diabetes when first diagnosed. Losing weight and getting more active took me back into 'normal' territory.

That has lasted 10 years, during which time my activity levels and attention to diet have dropped and my BS has gone sky high. My target weight over that time is now very close so keeping the weight off has not been enough long-term.

The medical profession cannot manage your blood glucose but they can help monitor it and when it gets out of hand they can give you meds to help but you are in the best position to make a real difference. There is a wealth of information here and many people to advise you. Prediabetes is usually down to insulin resistance. Learn about that term and about how we digest and metabolise carbs, lose any excess weight and, unlike me, keep it up.

Ellis

CazH

Hi @CazH,
I was only just over the threshold into type 2 diabetes when first diagnosed. Losing weight and getting more active took me back into 'normal' territory.

That has lasted 10 years, during which time my activity levels and attention to diet have dropped and my BS has gone sky high. My target weight over that time is now very close so keeping the weight off has not been enough long-term.

The medical profession cannot manage your blood glucose but they can help monitor it and when it gets out of hand they can give you meds to help but you are in the best position to make a real difference. There is a wealth of information here and many people to advise you. Prediabetes is usually down to insulin resistance. Learn about that term and about how we digest and metabolise carbs, lose any excess weight and, unlike me, keep it up.

Ellis
Thank you, still trying to understand the Insulin resistance..

CazH

Welcome @CazH
As Lobsang Tsultim said its all about the carbs.
A few tweeks to your diet could be all you need to get yourself back into non diabetic territory.
When you are checking carb values of different foods, it's the total carbs that count, not the of which are sugar's bit. All of the carbs turn to glucose when digested except for the fiber which is listed separately in the uk.
Thankyou, that does help already

Reactions: catinahat

Moomin333

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hi Caz, I agree with what Catinahat says. Reduce your cabs. I’m type 2 and have Ben for 19 years. Wished I’d known about it. But I went straight to type 2. Never knew there was a pre diabetic. However my cousin was pre diabetic and she cut her cabs and sugars and she’s now fine.

EllisB

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Thank you, still trying to understand the Insulin resistance..
Think of your cell walls having lots of doors. Insulin is the key that opens those doors to let glucose in.

Insulin resistance is like the locks on some of those doors being gummed up, making the Insulin keys unable to open them.

Many descriptions talk about them being gummed up with fat. It is a rather simplistic image, but fits with the lose weight narrative and losing weight does help reduce Insulin resistance.

valann

Hi CazH,

Firstly welcome to the forums. :)

Yes it can be confusing to understand it all and for me I still don't, I get the basics and that's enough for me right now. I'm one of those that like to take these things slowly (understanding fully), but prefer to act quickly on the info I have and here there is a lot of info to be had.

I am also doing the low carb diet and my numbers are coming down nicely and so is the weight. So hopefully by acting now you should be able to turn it all around.

Looking forward to seeing how you get on. :)