Hi, I'm New and still in shock!

dragonfly66

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi, I was diagnosed asT2 last month. It came as a complete shock and although this site has been a God send I think i have been searching for evidence to give me hope that this is all a dreadful mistake and that i am not really diabetic. My HbA1c was 6.1 but my OGTT was fasting 7.0 and 120mins 7.8 which the diabetic nurse said confirms i am T2. However, it wasn't until i had the retinopathy test that it really hit home as i had a 'bump' just one but still a shock. I also have a numbness down one big toe - had it for ages but didn't really take much notice! Thank you to this site for the support you give. I purchased a meter and have straight away started low carbing but my morning reading is always high (i think) at 6.8 or thereabouts. During the day it can go up to 8.8 or down to 5.6, so i obviously still need to cut down. The diabetic nurse has not really given me much advise only that if i want a donut then thats ok but to just have half of one instead of a whole one!!! That was the extent of her advice but she ahs refered me to go on a Desmond day, not until October. So this is my lifeline now - thank you everyone, i don't feel so alone now.

A

Anonymous

I was just diagnosed 2 weeks ago, have my first DB nurse appointment this morning, i've found this forum so helpful as I havent been given any information at all from Doctor or anyone else just yet, same day I found out i was diabetic i spent hours trolling the internet and came across this forum, so signed up and here i am, changed my diet already, stopped smoking also and feel a whole lot better that i'm actually getting help from people with the same condition. I too felt alone but now feel that I can get the help needed from members here...

Daisy will probably post a great wealth of information for you on this post too

Welcome to the forum

Sharon xx

ButtterflyLady

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Acceptance of health treatment claims that are not adequately supported by evidence. I dislike it when people sell ineffective and even harmful alternative health products to exploit the desperation of people with chronic illness.
Dragonfly, welcome. For most of us it is a huge shock at first, but it gets easier over time. We're here to support each other along the way.

My advice is to try to be gentle with yourself, this is a big change in your life, take some time to get used to it. It can often take a few months for things to settle down. No one expects you to have it all sorted in a few weeks.

I too have one retinopathy dot, which scared the heck out of me, but now I just feel "I have a dot". I am getting tested again in 6 months time - did they bring your test forward too? I think the tests are 2 yearly unless they see something they want to check more often.

I know it's easy for me to say, but you're doing really well, doing your best, so take it easy... and I'm glad you found this forum - it's a great source of information.

librarising

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
dragonfly66 wrote
The diabetic nurse has not really given me much advise only that if i want a donut then thats ok but to just have half of one instead of a whole one!!!

You couldn't make it up, could you ?
If it's a jam doughnut do you eat the half without the jam :roll:

Talk about give the profession a bad name !
This really takes the biscuit (and then hopefully throws it away in favour of a boiled egg :lol: )

Geoff
RMEID (rolling my eyes in disbelief)

daisy1

Legend
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Cruelty towards animals.
Hi Dragonfly and welcome to the forum :)
It looks like you need some good advice ! Here is the information we give to new members and I think this will be useful to you. Ask all the questions you like as there is always someone here to help.

BASIC INFORMATION FOR NEWLY DIAGNOSED DIABETICS

Diabetes is the general term to describe people who have blood that is sweeter than normal. A number of different types of diabetes exist.

A diagnosis of diabetes tends to be a big shock for most of us. It’s far from the end of the world though and on this forum you’ll find well over 30,000 people who are demonstrating this.

On the forum we have found that with the number of new people being diagnosed with diabetes each day, sometimes the NHS is not being able to give all the advice it would perhaps like to deliver - particularly with regards to people with type 2 diabetes.

The role of carbohydrate

Carbohydrates are a factor in diabetes because they ultimately break down into sugar (glucose) within our blood. We then need enough insulin to either convert the blood sugar into energy for our body, or to store the blood sugar as body fat.

If the amount of carbohydrate we take in is more than our body’s own (or injected) insulin can cope with, then our blood sugar will rise.

The bad news

Research indicates that raised blood sugar levels over a period of years can lead to organ damage, commonly referred to as diabetic complications.

The good news

People on the forum here have shown that there is plenty of opportunity to keep blood sugar levels from going too high. It’s a daily task but it’s within our reach and it’s well worth the effort.

Controlling your carbs

The info below is primarily aimed at people with type 2 diabetes, however, it may also be of benefit for other types of diabetes as well.
There are two approaches to controlling your carbs:

• Reduce your carbohydrate intake
  • Choose ‘better’ carbohydrates

Reduce your carbohydrates

A large number of people on this forum have chosen to reduce the amount of carbohydrates they eat as they have found this to be an effective way of improving (lowering) their blood sugar levels.

The carbohydrates which tend to have the most pronounced effect on blood sugar levels tend to be starchy carbohydrates such as rice, pasta, bread, potatoes and similar root vegetables, flour based products (pastry, cakes, biscuits, battered food etc) and certain fruits.

Choosing better carbohydrates

Another option is to replace ‘white carbohydrates’ (such as white bread, white rice, white flour etc) with whole grain varieties. The idea behind having whole grain varieties is that the carbohydrates get broken down slower than the white varieties –and these are said to have a lower glycaemic index.
http://www.diabetes.co.uk/food/diabetes ... rains.html

The low glycaemic index diet is often favoured by healthcare professionals but some people with diabetes find that low GI does not help their blood sugar enough and may wish to cut out these foods altogether.

Read more on carbohydrates and diabetes

Eating what works for you

Different people respond differently to different types of food. What works for one person may not work so well for another. The best way to see which foods are working for you is to test your blood sugar with a glucose meter.

To be able to see what effect a particular type of food or meal has on your blood sugar is to do a test before the meal and then test after the meal. A test 2 hours after the meal gives a good idea of how your body has reacted to the meal.

The blood sugar ranges recommended by NICE are as follows:

Blood glucose ranges for type 2 diabetes
  • Before meals: 4 to 7 mmol/l
  • 2 hours after meals: under 8.5 mmol/l
Blood glucose ranges for type 1 diabetes (adults)
  • Before meals: 4 to 7 mmol/l
  • 2 hours after meals: under 9 mmol/l
Blood glucose ranges for type 1 diabetes (children)
  • Before meals: 4 to 8 mmol/l
  • 2 hours after meals: under 10 mmol/l
However, those that are able to, may wish to keep blood sugar levels below the NICE after meal targets.

Access to blood glucose test strips
The NICE guidelines suggest that people newly diagnosed with type 2 diabetes should be offered:

• structured education to every person and/or their carer at and around the time of diagnosis, with annual reinforcement and review
  • self-monitoring of plasma glucose to a person newly diagnosed with type 2 diabetes only as an integral part of his or her self-management education

Therefore both structured education and self-monitoring of blood glucose should be offered to people with type 2 diabetes. Read more on getting access to blood glucose testing supplies.

You may also be interested to read questions to ask at a diabetic clinic

Note: This post has been edited from Sue/Ken's post to include up to date information.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Please sign our e-petition for free testing for all type 2's; here's the link:
http://www.diabetes.co.uk/petition/

Do get your friends and colleagues to sign as well.

dragonfly66

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi, Thank you for your replies. I think it was the discovery of the 'bump' at retinopathy screening that has scared me the most although she did say that with careful BG control it might heal in time and that they would write and see me again in six months to a year. Has anybody had a bump that has healed and how long did it take? Thanks

xyzzy

Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Undeserving authority figures of all kinds and idiots.
Welcome dragonfly66 :) . Your levels look pretty good already but low carbing will make them all the better. Good luck and ask any questions you need to.

ButtterflyLady

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Acceptance of health treatment claims that are not adequately supported by evidence. I dislike it when people sell ineffective and even harmful alternative health products to exploit the desperation of people with chronic illness.
I suggest getting your eyes tested again in 6 months. You can contact them and make the appointment - don't wait for them to write to you in "6 to 12 months". Always manage your own health care, follow up on test results yourself and get results in writing.

This dot might go away or it might not, and that's ok. The level of early mild retinopathy you have would never, ever cause a problem unless it gets worse. And it would have to get a lot worse before it's anything you need to worry about.

Managing your blood glucose well will reap benefits for your entire body, not just your eyes.

A

Anonymous

Hi Dragonfly. Welcome to the forum. My first piece of advice is don't worry. You are amongst good people here and I'm sure you will find - like I did - that you'll learn a lot here.

I was diagnosed two years ago, but learned more here in a month than I ever did before, and that includes the DESMOND course. You will soon learn about eating in a way that is just as good and inspiring, but you'll be eating different and more healthy foods.

Just don't be afraid to ask questions - any questions you like - and we'll bring our experience to bear.

Remember you're not alone and we're always willing to help.

Dave x

dragonfly66

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Thank you so much for your reassurances, you don't know how much I needed that. I have really been worrying about my eyes and am feeling a bit brighter now :)
There is another thing i am not clear on though, when you test your BG 2 hours after eating does it make any difference if you have had say a couple of cups of tea in between finnishing your meal and testing or do you need to wait a bit longer? I have looked through different posts but can't see any reference to not eating or drinking in between. I'm probably missing it but would appreciate if anyone can clarify. Thanks

catza

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi dragonfly, (love the name you have chosen :) ) a cup of tea or coffee could effect your result depending whether you have sugar
faint.gif
or milk in the cuppa as both have carbs in them. The caffeine in both options can also effect your results. I either have my drink directly after my meal or wait until I have done my +2 test.

I find that the decaf versions of both drinks with just a tiny splash of milk makes very little difference to my readings if any.

When in doubt testing is always the best option as we are all different.