HI im new and struggling :-(

yozer

Hi all i was diagonsed 2 weeks ago and im back at the clinic on tuesday. I sooo wanted to be able to manage this with diet alone as im freaked out with needles (learning to hold my finger still and press the button took a few attempts lol) i can now prick my finger but dont want to go on insulin!

My before breckie rate is good (5.0-5.8 ) however if i eat it varies. For breakfast i have a slice of rye bread with 2 eggs and this was going well between 7-7.9, however today same food and 8.7 - how did that happen?

Lunch i ussually have grilled sausage egg tomatoes mushroom etc i get between 5.1 and 8.1. My dinnners though are not good 7.9 -11.2 i am good and eat meat loads of veg and small amount of carbs. Yesterday i made a 'lamb pie' with minced lamb, carrots onion topped with 2/3 mashed cauliflower and 1/3 potato. served with loads of other veg, followed by a low carb diet yogut. i made 2 portions, yesterday i got 9.2. Ate the same today and got 5.5 - ive never had that low after eating ??? Im so confused the meal was identical my readings were the same before i ate so why the big drop? How can i contol this if my body acts differntley with the same foods day to day?

Ive already got loads of other probs with this pregnancy and i just want it to be a little normall i feel like such a failure when i look at my numbers and im dreading going back on tuesday and them saying i need meds. Please if you have any advice....

thanks x

daisy1

Legend
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Cruelty towards animals.
Hi yozer and welcome to the forum :) There are a lot of members on here who have had gestational diabetes and will be pleased to give you any information you need and to share experiences with you. They will soon see your post and answer. In the meantime, have a good read around and then ask any questions you have. The search engine is also very useful. :)

the_anticarb

Dislikes
Spiders, winter, bills, ignorance, prejudice
yozer said:
How can i contol this if my body acts differntley with the same foods day to day?

Ive already got loads of other probs with this pregnancy and i just want it to be a little normall i feel like such a failure when i look at my numbers and im dreading going back on tuesday and them saying i need meds. Please if you have any advice....

thanks x

hi there welcome to the wonderful world of pregnancy and diabetes, I had diabetes before falling pregnant but have found it a struggle during pregnancy as your pregnancy hormones will mean the blood sugars can become very unpredictable and all over the place, also as your pregnancy progresses you will become more insulin resistant. I now need 4-5 times as much insulin as I did before falling pregnant for example.
Your readings don't sound too bad, a little on the high side but it is really impossible to get them all below target as you have found yourself sometimes there is no rhyme or reason to the readings. but you are eating quite a low carb diet at the mo so if they are still on the high side with your diet modified, you may need to go on insulin. Have you done more exercise on the occasions when it was lower than expected? my consultant said this week that you can become more sensitive to exercise when you are pregnant and this can be as simple as a bit of housework or a walk to the shops can throw things out, not only planned or prolonged exercise.
All you can do is do your best don't be scared of going on insulin, the insulin needles are very fine and most of the time I don't feel them at all they are certainly a lot less painful than the finger pricker I promise, as it doesn't need to pierce the skin to the same degree so most of the time they go in and don't even hit a nerve cell so I don't feel a thing. If you can do the finger pricker you'll be fine with insulin needles I promise!
best of luck

becki

Hi

how are you getting on?

have you ended up on insulin?or did you get metformin first, try not to worry but if you have any questions pm me i know it comes as a huge shock when you first find out x

becki

yozer

Hi just a quick update :-( my levels are getting worse, the dietician wasn't happy as she said I was having too much protein and not enough carbs, took her advice and readings went a lot higher lol. They put me on metformin but ended up in hospital after having a allergic reaction to it. (appently it's quite rare). I'm now on insulin I will say it's not as bad as I thought it would be but it is still a struggle. I think I have a lot to learn about gd as to be honest I just don't "get it"
my readings are never what I think they are going to be, eg tonight after tea my reading was 8.7 amazing I thought not been under 11 after tea in over 10 days! Then tested a few min ago as going to bed (4 hours later) and it was 8.6 - and I've not eaten again how has it only dropped by 0.1 in all that time! Back to clinic on Tuesday as they are reassessing my insulin dose etc just hope i haven't gained again ( oups gained 4 lb last week - but that's another mystery!)
xxx

Chizzum

Hiya,
I was diagnosed a few weeks back. First I was diet contolled but I'm already on Metformin as I have PCOS. During the day my readings have been ok most of the time. But my post breakfast ones have always caused me trouble. I'm now on 4 units of Insulatard before bed and 12 units of Novorapid before breakfast and 2 before lunch.

I've only gained about 18lbs so far and am almost 33 weeks pregnant.

I've come to the conclusion that I'm damned if I do and damned if I don't. I'm sure the hospital doesn't believe that I'm not eating rubbish. I'm doing my very best and that's the best I can do.
I've been reduced to tears so many times, it's frustrating. But what keps me going is the lovely baby at the end of the journey. Plus the promise of chocolate once she's here :mrgreen:

FoxyLady2000

Hi Chizzum
I am feeling like you too. Very frustrating. Just when I say I am doing well and I am on top of this condition just one iffy bg measurement is enough to make me feel demoralised. I have tonnes to do before this baby comes and I cannot concentrate :( . You are right about being damned both ways. My dietician said it is a lot harder to control diabetes when pregnant because there is a baby to think of as well. She was worried about my initial values saying that I should not starve myself. Later I realised there is a reason for this. If we dont eat enough then body burns its own fat and ketones come out, which are toxic for baby. I think this is why they want to encourage a balanced diet rather than very low carb. I think the idea is to get the necessary amount of calories and making sure that it is coming from a balanced diet but the trouble is it is much easier said than done. When are you due Chizzum?