Hi, I'm new to all this

nirishdaisy

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
What a find this forum is. :D Since being diagnosed with type 2 diabetes two weeks ago I have been avidly reading here. I was diagnosed with impaired glucose tolerance 8 years ago and sent off with advice to eat low fat and low sugar which I followed. I lost 4 stone, came to a plateau and nothing I tried made any difference. Most of the weight is back on again.

The advice on here has been so helpful, I read somewhere on here about Dr Bernstein and what he says makes sense to me, so I've started cutting down greatly on carbs. I can't believe I'm not hungry doing this!! It's like a light has come on and I now understand much better that my body can't cope with all the junk I had been feeding myself. I can't even eat fruit at all now - it's too sweet, and that coming from an ex chocoholic. I need all the help I can get with food ideas. I can't get appointments at the dietician or diabetic clinic until late November, so I'm trying to help myself as much as I can in between.

The diets not such a big shock as it could have been since I had cut out sweet things anyway, but yesterday I thought - help what do I eat at Christmas!!! Turkey, ham and sprouts for the three meals are sounding good lol.

Thank you everyone for all the information I have already read. Any advice is greatly appreciated.

daisy1

Legend
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Cruelty towards animals.
Hi nirishdaisy from another member of the Daisy family. :) There are in fact quite a few of us! Welcome to the forum. I am a type 2 as well and am eating low carbs, low fat and low calories (not much left?). At Christmas I will allow myself a few small treats, testing regularly, and getting back on track afterwards. :wink: But stick to your plan if you can.

grandmacarol

Well helo nirishdasiy welcome. I have just found this forum and I have been diabetic Type 1 for 36 years. You will get a lot of help from them on hear. Like daisy 1 says have a treat at christmas it wont harm you just test and see how you go. :)

nirishdaisy

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Thank you both for your welcome - it's good to be part of the daisy family. :lol: I'm sure I'll have plenty of questions as I go along. I've just spoken to my GP to ask about the diet - I'd rather work with her - and she says low carb seems to be the sensible way for me to go as the low fat, low sugar didn't work!! She's giving me a blood glucose monitor, so it's all systems go for me from here in. As for the Christmas treats, as I'm just starting out on this I'd rather stick to the plan if I can. Only thing I may allow myself is some stuffing.
I'm finding it hard finding something for breakfast that doesn't involve cereal or bread. Any suggestions?

daisy1

Legend
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Cruelty towards animals.
Hi nirishdaisy. With regard to the daisy family have a look under members to see who is there under D if you're interested. Last count I found 12 not counting you or me. Unfortunately most of them seem to have stopped visiting or at least posting. I presume Daisy is your name.

I have a greek joghurt for breakfast. You can either have a full fat one or if you're on low fat which I don't know if you are any more you can have 2% or 10% versions (Total). The 2% has more carbs than the full fat version but is still ok for a low carb diet. I eat low carb, low fat, low calorie. That sets me up for the morning with several cups of coffee with Weighwatchers coffee cream. :)

edit:there is a thread called what do you have for breakfast which would probably give you ideas:http://www.diabetes.co.uk/diabetes-forum/viewtopic.php?f=18&t=16448&p=150140&hilit=breakfast#p150140

nirishdaisy

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Ahhh, that sounds good daisy1. That is certainly something I could cope with for breakfast. Think I'll give that a go - I'd been having muller light ones and they are now too sweet for me. Can't handle any fruit either - way too sweet. I intend keeping what I can low fat as fatty foods don't really agree with me, but I'll experiment and see what works best now. Thanks again. :)

Wow grandmacarol, how did you cope all these years without this site lol? It's a mine of information.

daisy1

Legend
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Cruelty towards animals.
to nirishdaisy again - I just added a link to another thread to my previous post before I saw you had already replied to mine. For some reason I wasn't able to make the link active so you will have to cut and paste it to browser - sorry. :) Unless a kind mod can activate it for me :)

By the way I add artificial sweetner to the joghurt.

nirishdaisy

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Thanks for that daisy1. Very interesting - perhaps I could try blueberries or raspberries - neither of those are sweet fruits. See some replies are about Nexium - I take those as well. I can't digest fibre either. I am so glad to be able to talk to people who understand - hubby gets bored listening, so I tell him roughly what I'm doing and get on with it. We do the grocery shop together, so he'll ask why I'm not eating something.

grandmacarol

well nirishdaisy I dont know how I coped just got on with it. Just starting to get to grips with a computer. My husband is diabetic Type 1 as well we have just helped each other with things. When I started with it I was pregnant with my son hes now 35 and i have 3 grandsons so must have done something right been up and down but we all get that. All thoes years ago husband thought that he had given it to me (daft get) he was diabetic just before we got married.

daisy1

Legend
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Cruelty towards animals.
Hi Kelly.
Yes a newcomer is always very welcome to the forum :) So welcome :wink: Would you be from Australia by any chance? I am type 2 taking metformin.