hi i'm new

heatherpetch

Hi there i am new to the forum,i have type 2 for 4 yrs now over the past year control has got worse even upping the mills to 4 metformin,and 4 glicazide a day.My sugar levels are 18 ish in a morning and 2 hrs after food around 22 this is too high i am going to e put on insulin and to be honest can't wait.Will i get the choice of regimes do you think,just wish the appt would hurry up i feel lousy.[:(!]

sugarless sue

Master
Dislikes
Rude people! Not being able to do the things I want to do.
Those levels are so high! Welcome to the forum,Heather,please have a read of the carb links in 'general links for diabetes 'in this section and see if lowering your carb intake could make a difference to your blood sugar levels.Happy browsing.

Knowledge is the key to control

heatherpetch

Hi yes i know they are for instance today at 11.30 i had 1 slice of bacon in 1 slice of bread,i thought this would be ok,but my level now 7 hrs after eating is still 24.2 i am at a total loss,any idea's

sugarless sue

Master
Dislikes
Is that all you have eaten all day?

sugarless sue

Master
Dislikes
Heather,i'm no expert but maybe you should look at eating small regular meals through the day and maybe lowering the carbs. Bread,rice,pasta are all high in carbs and will cause your blood sugars to go up. Have you had any advice on diets at all? If you read some of the posts by more experienced type 2's you will see that they all go for low carb eating.

fergusc

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Heather, you will not get your blood sugars down by eating spaghetti and toast! That's pure carbohydrate, almost all of which will be converted to glucose very quickly.

In your position, I'd think about eating differently rather than taking more medication in order to eat the foods that are harming you.

There is a danger of permanent damage to your cells at such a high level of blood sugar. Try some srambled eggs and bacon, for example. All of the vitamins your body needs, and no sugar. As Sue said, it's the bread, rice and pasta you need to eliminate, as quickly as you can.

All the best,

fergusc

StaffieLady

Heather, after 4.5 years, I have discovered the low carb diet - its great, and so easy! I got myself a good book on carbohydrate values from Amazon and most of the foods we eat have it printed on the packet anyway. I havent made it an exact science yet - but I figured I would get better with practice, and if Im not too sure, I test before and after eating, if its too high - I rule that food out.

My nurse has also added 1 x Amaryl tablet in the morning to go with the 4 Metformin I am taking, and together with the diet, Im getting numbers I have only been able to dream about.

Linda

Type 2 for 5 years