1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Get the Diabetes Forum App for your phone - available on iOS and Android.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Guest, we'd love to know what you think about the forum! Take the Diabetes Forum Survey 2019 »
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Diabetes Forum should not be used in an emergency and does not replace your healthcare professional relationship. Posts can be seen by the public.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Find support, ask questions and share your experiences. Join the community »

Hi my name is Glen and I have type I diabetes. I am new to this.

Discussion in 'Type 1 Diabetes' started by Glen1144, Jan 6, 2019.

1. Jollymon

Jollymon Type 1 · Well-Known Member

Everyone was new at some point. Welcome!

2. kitedoc

kitedoc Type 1 · Well-Known Member

Hi @Glenn1144, A big welcome. We here all learn something about diabetes, share triumphs and defeats and find out answers to the reason for the universe existing. Although the last one is a never-ending quest, and trying to keep our diabetes under some semblance of control dwarfs all other considerations. We do have humour though to keeps us afloat. Please wander the site to see what threads on the forum may interest you, including use of the question box - RH top corner.
    The Home page has all sorts of information as well.
    There is no question so simple that one of us has not asked it in the past, so please ask away if there is anything you may wish to share or ask about.
    Cheers.
    .........................................Injections....................we are all in it together
    IMG_3067.jpg ............. IMG_3824.jpg .................. P3310368.jpg

• Agree Agree x 1
  3. Chris Bowsher

Chris Bowsher Type 1 · Well-Known Member

4. Chowie

Chowie Type 1 · Well-Known Member

Hi Glen,
    Welcome to our very exclusive club. We are very fussy whom we admit to the club. Don't Panic - Douglas Adams.
    Everything will seem overwhelming, but we have managed to wrangle D, that I we have it for our convenience. It obeys me, well at least some of the time. Don't let it take over your life. For about the first year you need to follow your medical teams guidance. You will eventually work out what your limits are. You will even have a bit of fun. Even 20 years ago this was a nasty little affliction, now with all the electronic gadgetry CGM and pumps and them now being connected together, it's becoming one of the kewl diseases, you will have to wait a while and master the daily injections before you can think of pumps, CGM you can get right into now (it may cost a pretty penny, depending on a number of factors). For most of us here it's now more a lifestyle than anything else. You have every right to go through a grieving process. Especially to start with it may get you down and depressed, but things will get much better and a whole lot easier, in a few months time, you will wonder what all the fuss and panic was about. Most of us have been there done that, there are a few here that got it as babies, so they know no different.

5. Jaylee

Jaylee Type 1 · Expert
    Retired Moderator

That's a reasonable bit of T1 time under yer belt.

So, how's the management going...?

• Meet the Community

Find support, connect with others, ask questions and share your experiences with people with diabetes, their carers and family.

Did you know: 7 out of 10 people improve their understanding of diabetes within 6 months of being a Diabetes Forum member. Get the Diabetes Forum App and stay connected on iOS and Android

Grab the app!
  • Tweet with us

• Like us on Facebook