Hi to everyone

Type of diabetes
Type 2
My name is Adriana (forum name, Traveling Hawk - I also write a travel blog, using the same nickname), I am from Romania, and almost 70 yrs old.

I was diagnosed with diabetes type II in 2004 and since then I tried to control it (with more or less success) only by diet.

On June, my glycemia rised to 299 and HbA1c was 12.5 I presented myself to my doctor, who prescribed Siofor (metformin), one tablet twice a day. Problem is that, on different forums, many complained that Siofor while decreasing glycemia, destroyed their kidneys. What is your experience? Should I believe this or should I follow what my doctor says?

I will be glad and thankful to hear your opinion.

Prem51

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Hi @Traveling_Hawk and welcome to the forum. What sort of diet were you following to control your T2?
A lot of us on here, many with higher HbA1c's than your 12.5, have foun d that adopting a Low Carbohydrate High Fat (LCHF) approach to eating has reduced our blood sugar levels. Have a read round the threads to see how it works and ask anything you want to, the people on here are friendly and you will get a lot of good advice.
I can't answer your question about Siofor. I am not on medication. But I expect that if anyone on here has experience or knowledge about it they will answer.

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Thanks for your reply, Prem51!

Well, I can't say I am on a certain diet. Rather I read a lot of books, articles, theories, and combining them with my doctor's advices, I establish my own eating habits based on principles I choosed to accept. I was very much attracted by dr. Fuhrman concepts. I do not count calories, I do not weight food intakes.

My last analyses (the bad ones I mentioned previously) were taken on June,6. Immediately I started to eat "my way". Results? My weight went already down from 91.7 kg to 85.5 Morning a jeun glycemia went from 299 to 140 today, and 2 hours postprandial 132, as of today. I think this is pretty well, and I still have more than one month ahead of me, till my next HbA1c measurement. It will not be perfect but much better than that on June.

Some of things I do eat or not:

I do not eat bread, only WASA, 4-5 per day (my doctor recommended 60 g of bread/day)
When cooking, I use very small quantities of oil (sunflower, olive)
I use aromatic plants like dill or petersilie, a lot
I eat less meat and it is only chicken breast, without skin
I eat every day a portion of beans/lentils
I eat every day a portion of mushrooms
I drink almost every morning a green smoothie
I eat nuts or seeds, daily
I do not drink cow milk, I use almond milk
I eat only 2 eggs/week
I eat a lot of vegetables like cauliflower, broccoli, cabage, spinach, peppers, tomatoes, garlic, carrots, etc.
I do not drink alchols, not even beer
I do not eat sweets like chocolate, cookies, candies (this were the principal cause to put on weight)
I only drink one cofee in the morning, after breakfast

Very important, I reduced the quantity of ingerated food, that is I reduced my portions.

How would you name such a diet? I think may be is a kind of low carb and low fat diet.

Reactions: Prem51

Mugwump

Type of diabetes
Carer
Treatment type
Pump
Hi and welcome!

I can't speak from experience but I have seen a lot of people saying that metmorfin has given them lots of side effects (like diarrhoea), although for others (like my brother) it has been fine.

From what I can see your diet is relatively low carb and low fat, which I know a lot of people have adopted. If it works for you then that's great - can I ask what is WASA? I'm not sure I've heard of it before!

Reactions: Prem51