Hi

marcwlms

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hi all

I’m Marc, 43 living in Kent

Had high blood pressure symptoms so went to doctor for blood test in mid April.

Came back with a reading of hpA1c in the 90’s, hadnt really had any other symptoms so was a bit of a shock.

My diet and alcohol intake was not great prior for various reasons but up until October I was running 20-25 miles a week which I think may have been masking stuff. Stopped running after running London Marathon in October and now we are here.

Been on Gliclazide initially and now metformin as well as medication for high blood pressure and am now eating a lot more healthily and reduced my alcohol intake.

Have to say our GP and NHS have been amazing so far in terms of support.

Hoping I can manage it with diet/exercise going forward or at least minimal medication. Next review til diabetes team in August and hoping blood test will come back with a more positive outcome.

Been a big learning curve last month or so

Marc

Reactions: Prancy

KennyA

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi all

I’m Marc, 43 living in Kent

Had high blood pressure symptoms so went to doctor for blood test in mid April.

Came back with a reading of hpA1c in the 90’s, hadnt really had any other symptoms so was a bit of a shock.

My diet and alcohol intake was not great prior for various reasons but up until October I was running 20-25 miles a week which I think may have been masking stuff. Stopped running after running London Marathon in October and now we are here.

Been on Gliclazide initially and now metformin as well as medication for high blood pressure and am now eating a lot more healthily and reduced my alcohol intake.

Have to say our GP and NHS have been amazing so far in terms of support.

Hoping I can manage it with diet/exercise going forward or at least minimal medication. Next review til diabetes team in August and hoping blood test will come back with a more positive outcome.

Been a big learning curve last month or so

Marc
Hi Marc, and welcome to the forums.

When you say you're now eating more healthily, what are you actually eating? A lot of us here have found that the current "Eatwell Plate" advice that the NHS regularly gives (basically, eat a lot of carbohydrate) plus what passes for "healthy" eating advice in the media, is postively damaging for T2s. All carbohydrate is digested to glucose, and by definition T2s have real problems dealing with glucose.

The other thing piece of advice that follows on from that is that I found testing my blood glucose (with a meter) before and after meals to be the best way of identifying what my system could and couldn't cope with in terms of carbs.

Best of luck. You can turn this round, with a bit of time and willpower (if you've done marathons you already have the willpower), and I'd advise having a look at some of the "Success Stories" elsewhere on this forum.

marcwlms

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Thanks.

Have cut down on carbs massively and where I am eating them I’m eating whole meal and less of it.

Eating a lot more salad/vegetables and better protein.

Have cut out processed meat pretty much completely and cut down on alcohol and snacking on crisps etc.

I have been testing glucose regularly and have been using the freestyle libre sensor and will do so for a few months.

Thanks for the suggestion re success stories will check them out.

M

• Winner
Reactions: MrsA2