hi

chips

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
diet coke and most diet drinks as they all taste vile
Hi, im 17 almost 18, i was diagnosed with diabetes at the begining of last year. i thought i could handle it but.....i clearly cant and i started too look for some help, advice, anything and i found this site. also just found out that we cant join the military or anything like that. which has really upset me because i was hoping to make a career in it. i feel lost, i have never felt this helpless in my life. at first i thought everything was fine but my sugarlevel has been going up and up and up recently. it is now at 14.5 which i am told is very bad and if it does not go down i will be admitted to hospital and hooked up to a machine which regualates my sugars. i dont want too have too do that. i hate hospitals for one.

i have hid the problem from my parents as i do not get on with them and they will not understand the situation. i have never wanted too cry this uch in my life

VBee

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Baked beans
Welcome to the forum chips and sorry you feel so bad. There are some excellent people here with a good knowlwdge of the condition that I am sure will be able to help you. Read some of the success stories and things will start to look up! :D

suzi

Dislikes
people who are rude and ignorant, and people who have no patience in queues.
Hi Chips,
I'm sorry your having such a rough time, as a mother of a T1 10yr old son , i could never imagine him going through his diabetes on his own no matter what age he was. Are things so bad with your parents that you feel you have to go it alone?
There are plenty of people on the forum to help, i would suggest you get in touch with your Diabetic team and it doesn't have to mean a stay in hospital. They will assess your insulin regime and you might find that you've come out of your honeymoon period, hence the need for more insulin. Your diet may also be adding to your high blood sugars, look around the forum and you'll find very useful imformation and advise.
Stay positive, i know its hard, and a real blow that you can't have the carreer of your choice, there are other options, don't give up.Sending (((((( a hug to cheer you up ))))))
Take care
Suzi x

chips

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
i have been trying too make myself call my diabetic nurse but im terrified. i have always avoided trouble where i can, i know this is a bad trait but i cant help it :(

ty for the hug i really need it

suzi

Dislikes
Hi Chips,
Let me take on the role of mother for you, and i'm telling you to phone the nurse and get yourself sorted out, that way you will feel mentally and physically better, after all high blood sugars tend to make people feel ****** and down. So do me a favour and make the phone call, theres nothing to be scared about, she may give you a slight ticking off, (but she will be sympathetic and its her job to help you) Sorry if i sound a little harsh, i just hate to think of anyone in your position, and i do like to be mother hen :)
Do it soon, and there's plenty here to help and support you, take care
Suzi x

totsy

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
liars, animal cruelty
hya chips,
my advice would be same as the above,but welcome to the forum :D

chips

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
i phoned him, and have checked my sugars all day, its sticking to it that is the problem. thank you.

HLW

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi Chips,
welcome to the forum,
it sounds like you are taking steps in the right direction at least so congratulations!
good luck

Jo123

Hi Chips,
Wish I could give you a big hug, sorry you have to go through all this, but as others have said you have got to get on top of this, keep up the testing, keep coming on this forum for support.
With regard to your career someone from the diabetic police association has posted on this thread and has said that well controlled type 1's can become police officers. Ok it is not the army but is along similar lines, my husband retired from the police recently, so if in the future you wanted any advice from him re: selection I would be glad to help. Surely that would be an incentive to control your levels and keep on testing.
Please keep us posting how you are getting on.
Best wishes
Jo

chips

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
i know it is only one day but i have kept my sugars bellow 10 all day, my nurse is coming too see me next week and he is booking me an appointment at the clinic.

suzi

Dislikes
Well done Chips, a step in the right direction, hope all goes well at the clinic. Keep ontop of your blood sugars and within no time it will become second nature to you, also keep looking through the forums there an inspiration and are full of support,
Take care
Suzi x

Jo123

chips said:
i know it is only one day but i have kept my sugars bellow 10 all day, my nurse is coming too see me next week and he is booking me an appointment at the clinic.

Well done, keep it up and good luck at the clinic next week!
Jo

chips

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
i got some good news at the clinic, my hba1c has gone from 14 to 12.3 in a week :)

hanadr

Expert
Dislikes
soaps on telly and people talking about the characters as if they were real.
Hi Chips
Try Diabetes Uk they have good support groups for young people and can tell you about what careers you #CAN follow. Ignore their dietary advice though.

chips

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
im thinking of going back too college once i have a bit of money behind me and doing computer programing. i have always been very good at it and i think i could make a living off it.

suzi

Dislikes
Hi Chips, well done on your recent Hab1c level, its heading in the right direction, as for going back to college thats a wonderful idea, i hope all goes well for you. Sending you a big well done (((hug))) Suzi x

malice67

Hi Chips, having just read your pieces I wanted to add my support in much the same vain as Suzi. I think you have done so much in the last few weeks. Best wishes Malice

chips

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
thank you guys so much, tbh i wouldnt have done it without you guys thanks, sending hugs back :)

chips

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
got too laugh at this but i thought i might aswell put it here, last night i was in a car crash, car hit a bit of ice on the road, we swerved hit the verge and flew into the air, car flipped onto its side before crashing down a ditch into a hedge. im only one wearing a seat belt. my seat belt snapped my collar bone, then snapped itself an flung me into window breaking it, sending glass through my shoulder and neck. the driver an passanger wernt wearing seat belts. they are both fine.

just my luck eh