High BG and exercise? Explain?

Isobel94

Hello all,

I know that they say it's not a good idea to exercise if you're 13 mmol/l or above, as it can raise your blood glucose rather than lower it, yet in my experience exercise has lowered a high reading for me.

Don't understand this thing where your blood sugar rises even higher while exercising with a high, could somebody explain this to me as it seems a little counter-intuitive?

Many thanks,

Izzy.

clifton90

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Hello there :)
I'm a keen exerciser too! Basically hen you so anaerobic exercise so like sprinting, fast ad explosive type exercises, that will raise your blood glucose. If you do aerobic exercise, so steady exercise like jogging then this will lower your blood glucose readings. However if you do a mixture sometimes it sort of plateaus or it goes slightly one way or the other. HOWEVER, it does not always go that way, but majority of the time this is what happens :) hope this helps :)

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

Andy12345

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Doctors
Hi, I used to get higher readings after exercise, someone explained that because I was new to exercise and I was trying hard my heart rate was in the anaerobic zone which I learned can raise not lower bg, I had gone below 13 by the time I started so never had that worry, sorry thats all I've got
Good luck

Isobel94

Hi all,

Thank you for your prompt responses! I guess that's understandable, that if you do vigorous exercise you'll go higher, because your body thinks it needs more glucose (?).

Now I know that running for the hills in response to a high blood glucose is not the best option... probably would consider walking for the hills :p

Thanks again,

Izzy

Mr Happy

Its also to do with the blood flow I believe - your body basically panics and starts breaking down the stores to release sugars. Getting the balance right can be quite tricky because if I start a decent gym session lower than 8 then I will hypo!

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

phoenix

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Though I agree that aerobic and anaerobic exercise has different effects there is also an additional consideration if you are insulin dependent.
A high glucose level may mean that you are haven't sufficient insulin in the body. If this is the case and you exercise the muscles may not be able to utilise the glucose in your blood efficiently. The 'body' will supply more glucose (because it 'thinks' there isn't enough there) and glucose levels will rise.
The normal advice is to check for ketones if your blood glucose is high and only exercise if you haven't got any. If it is very high then avoid exercise until you've reduced them.
This is how the Mayo Clinic puts it.
Lower than 100 mg/dL (5.6 mmol/L). Your blood sugar may be too low to exercise safely. Eat a small carbohydrate-containing snack, such as fruit or crackers, before you begin your workout.
100 to 250 mg/dL (5.6 to 13.9 mmol/L). You're good to go. For most people, this is a safe pre-exercise blood sugar range.
250 mg/dL (13.9 mmol/L) or higher. This is a caution zone. Before exercising, test your urine for ketones — substances made when your body breaks down fat for energy. Excess ketones indicate that your body doesn't have enough insulin to control your blood sugar. If you exercise when you have a high level of ketones, you risk ketoacidosis — a serious complication of diabetes that needs immediate treatment. Instead, wait to exercise until your test kit indicates a low level of ketones in your urine.
300 mg/dL (16.7 mmol/L) or higher Your blood sugar may be too high to exercise safely, putting you at risk of ketoacidosis. Postpone your workout until your blood sugar drops to a safe pre-exercise range

http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/diabet ... se/DA00105

hanadr

Expert
Dislikes
soaps on telly and people talking about the characters as if they were real.
I'm niot sure of the mechanisms involved, but it certainly happens sometimes that exercise raises blood sugar. Bernstein writes on the subject.
Hana