High BG suddenly

Bridget66

I’m wondering if anyone can give me an insight as to why my BG has been high today and climbing. I’m pre diabetic and following a low carb diet, my daily BG tests sit between 5.3-6.1. I get a 7 on the odd days but never higher, for the last two months. Today I started FBG 6.6, pre lunch 8.2 and now pre dinner 17.2! I average 30g carbs a day plus 2 jelly babies today. Could they have caused this? As today hasn’t been out of the ordinary other than that.

TheSecretCarbAddict

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
How do you test? Have you you verified your numbers through another or alternative test? If it is finger prick and you have something sugary on your fingers (e.g. residue from jelly babies) it might show a very high reading. Wash your hands and try again. If you are using CGM, veryfy via finger prick.

If it is still high, is there anything else out of ordinary? For example, I treated myself to a large Costa latte with soya milk yesterday and discovered that it was one of their most sugary milk alternatives. :) But only after it spiked my BG.

• Agree
Reactions: Melgar and Antje77

Bridget66

Ah thank you that’s very helpful. I didn’t think about residue on fingers. I only use a finger prick test, no cgm. Today has been as usual so shall wash hands now and repeat the test.

UPDATE: BG 6.3 after a low carb dinner. ( cheese & salad) and some activity. feeling less anxious about the day now, however, not sure it explains the rest of the days readings . Oh well tomorrow is another day! Thanks for your help.

Last edited:

Bridget66

How do you test? Have you you verified your numbers through another or alternative test? If it is finger prick and you have something sugary on your fingers (e.g. residue from jelly babies) it might show a very high reading. Wash your hands and try again. If you are using CGM, veryfy via finger prick.

If it is still high, is there anything else out of ordinary? For example, I treated myself to a large Costa latte with soya milk yesterday and discovered that it was one of their most sugary milk alternatives. :) But only after it spiked my BG.

Thanks for the heads up with Costa soya milk. I used to have their cappuccino with it but will be avoiding it now.

TheSecretCarbAddict

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I've checked their website, looking at their different milks and milk alternatives, and coconut seems to have the lowest carb content. Just over 3g carb per 100ml. All milk around 4g per 100ml, soya 5g per 100ml, and oat 7g per 100ml. Large is almost 500ml. So I was hit with 25g of carbs without expecting it. Two lessons learnt - a) read the label BEFORE consuming food or drink, and b) don't be greedy - a small treat is still an enjoyable treat.

Reactions: Bridget66

Melgar

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I’m wondering if anyone can give me an insight as to why my BG has been high today and climbing. I’m pre diabetic and following a low carb diet, my daily BG tests sit between 5.3-6.1. I get a 7 on the odd days but never higher, for the last two months. Today I started FBG 6.6, pre lunch 8.2 and now pre dinner 17.2! I average 30g carbs a day plus 2 jelly babies today. Could they have caused this? As today hasn’t been out of the ordinary other than that.
If it was just the one reading at 17.2 mmol/ls then as TheSecretCarbAddict points out it could have been something on your finger when you pricked. If your preprandial (pre meal) reading of 8.0 mmol/ls is not your normal, the question to ask yourself is what did I eat. Certainly, jelly babies are high in simple sugars. Your body will metabolize simple sugars very quickly, usually between 10-15 minutes. Jelly babies are often used to treat a hypoglycemic episode as they work fast to bring your blood sugars up. Your blood sugars can come down pretty sharpish to with simple sugars.

I should point out that 8mmol/ls is within normal range, but I do understand how that feels if it's higher than normal. Many things can raise your blood sugars, feeling off colour and any kind of stressor for example, but there are many more things, other than food, that can raise your blood sugars. Keep an eye on your pre and post prandial (2 hours after your first bite) figures. Wash your hands before pricking. Out of date test strips will also read high. Are they in date? It maybe very helpful to buy a CGM. They are pricey, but Freestyle libre sometimes offer a free cgm if you have never used them before. They are very useful to see how different foods effect your blood sugars. We are all unique, but there are definitely certain foods that raise everyones blood sugars, and simple sugars, such as Jelly babies are definitely one of them. Just keep an eye on your readings and make a note of what you ate and how it effected your blood sugars. If you keep getting these high blood sugar readings, check in with your Dr.

Bridget66

If it was just the one reading at 17.2 mmol/ls then as TheSecretCarbAddict points out it could have been something on your finger when you pricked. If your preprandial (pre meal) reading of 8.0 mmol/ls is not your normal, the question to ask yourself is what did I eat. Certainly, jelly babies are high in simple sugars. Your body will metabolize simple sugars very quickly, usually between 10-15 minutes. Jelly babies are often used to treat a hypoglycemic episode as they work fast to bring your blood sugars up. Your blood sugars can come down pretty sharpish to with simple sugars.

I should point out that 8mmol/ls is within normal range, but I do understand how that feels if it's higher than normal. Many things can raise your blood sugars, feeling off colour and any kind of stressor for example, but there are many more things, other than food, that can raise your blood sugars. Keep an eye on your pre and post prandial (2 hours after your first bite) figures. Wash your hands before pricking. Out of date test strips will also read high. Are they in date? It maybe very helpful to buy a CGM. They are pricey, but Freestyle libre sometimes offer a free cgm if you have never used them before. They are very useful to see how different foods effect your blood sugars. We are all unique, but there are definitely certain foods that raise everyones blood sugars, and simple sugars, such as Jelly babies are definitely one of them. Just keep an eye on your readings and make a note of what you ate and how it effected your blood sugars. If you keep getting these high blood sugar readings, check in with your Dr.

Thanks Melgar,
I don’t know why I ate them, I don’t have a sweet tooth. Just popped them in my mouth without thinking when offered. I’ll keep a close eye on my readings and bear all the advice in mind.

Melgar

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Thanks Melgar,
I don’t know why I ate them, I don’t have a sweet tooth. Just popped them in my mouth without thinking when offered. I’ll keep a close eye on my readings and bear all the advice in mind.
Ha, it's so easy isn't it. Then the pay back ! Just a guilty pleasure. I actually keep Starburst candy with me all the time as I can have hypos. I actually have a Starburst that melted in the hot sun and seems stuck like cement at the base of my vehicle's cup holder. A constant reminder of it's medicinal qualities and my penchant for sweet things. Mind, if I could get Jelly Babies here I would opt for them instead. But here's the thing you know now, Sweet candy drives your blood sugar up. No harm done, really just a lesson about your own body and how it deals with sweet sugary things. :)