1. Get the Diabetes Forum App for your phone - available on iOS and Android.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, we'd love to know what you think about the forum! Take the Diabetes Forum Survey 2021 »
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Diabetes Forum should not be used in an emergency and does not replace your healthcare professional relationship. Posts can be seen by the public.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Guest, stay home, stay safe, save the NHS. Stay up to date with information about keeping yourself and people around you safe here and GOV.UK: Coronavirus (COVID-19). Think you have symptoms? NHS 111 service is available here.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Find support, ask questions and share your experiences. Join the community »

High BG

Discussion in 'Diabetes Discussions' started by ang, Feb 26, 2021.

1. ang

ang · Member

When your finger prick test is running continuously around 18-21, how long should it take to come down to acceptable numbers once you start low carbing ?

2. bulkbiker

bulkbiker Type 2 · Oracle

That will depend entirely on the type of diabetes that you have.
    If T2 then it should start fairly fast assuming you are taking in very few carbs.
    If T1 then you'll need insulin at some stage probably sooner rather than later.
    Those are pretty high levels.

• Agree Agree x 3
  3. smutcher

smutcher Type 2 · Member

I started low carbing last week, am type 2, and have got mine down to 8 or 9 by before dinner after 3 days (though I'm on insulin as well). Still some way to go plus I'm still struggling with my morning fasting reading which is usually 12 to 16. That's on 70 to 100g of carbs a day - obviously a lot of people go even lower than that. Good luck!

4. VashtiB

VashtiB Type 2 · Well-Known Member

Hello and welcome,

as @bulkbiker said it really depends on what type of diabetes you have. It also depends on what you mean by low carb. Reducing your carbs will help if you are a type 2 but if you are a type 1 it's more complicated.

Good luck.

• Meet the Community

Find support, connect with others, ask questions and share your experiences with people with diabetes, their carers and family.

Did you know: 7 out of 10 people improve their understanding of diabetes within 6 months of being a Diabetes Forum member. Get the Diabetes Forum App and stay connected on iOS and Android

Grab the app!
  • Tweet with us

• Like us on Facebook