High blood sugar

Gembee77

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I'm not a new diabetic, I've had diabetes for 7 years. Recently was suggested to me that my diabetes might be causing a problem with some muscle spasms I have been having. So I decided to start monitoring my blood sugar again. I used to monitor previously with my old Dr but my new surgery doesn't give prescriptions for test strips or lances, and doesn't suggest type 2 diabetics monitor so I hadn't monitored it for over a year. It was very high the first time I took it at 18. Now I have cut out as much sugar and carbs as I can and am eating a sensible diet, I'm on Metformin. I've been doing this for a month now and it hasn't really gone down. My reading was 13.5 this morning. I do have a niggling cough but I don't know if that might be it. I have a blood test on Monday morning, and I expect to see the diabetic nurse when the results come back. If anyone might have some idea what it might be I would be grateful.

D

Deleted Account

There are many things which can affect our BG.
Most people know about the carbs in what we eat (and for some, protein, too) but it can also be affected by time of day, month, year, illness, stress, exercise, medication, alcohol, ...
So, you niggling cough may be raising your BG - I sometimes find my raise BG is out of proportion with a niggling cough/sniff/... and have decided this is because my body is busy fighting off bugs which have not caused much problems yet.
Or it may be the stress of the up coming blood test (or something else)
Or it may be something you ate yesterday
Or it may be ....

Gembee77

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
There are many things which can affect our BG.
Most people know about the carbs in what we eat (and for some, protein, too) but it can also be affected by time of day, month, year, illness, stress, exercise, medication, alcohol, ...
So, you niggling cough may be raising your BG - I sometimes find my raise BG is out of proportion with a niggling cough/sniff/... and have decided this is because my body is busy fighting off bugs which have not caused much problems yet.
Or it may be the stress of the up coming blood test (or something else)
Or it may be something you ate yesterday
Or it may be ....

Thanks :) I'm thinking that although this cough I have isn't bad that it might not be helping. It's been hanging around for a month now. Fingers crossed for the Monday fasting bloods, they might get the Dr to help me out.