High blood sugars but low GI eating. Max 100g-120g carbs a day.

Spiker

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
No because i wasnt eating. I was told it was dangerous to inject without eating. I waited until breakfast

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App
That's not really true. Have you done that for the ten? years or so you have been diabetic? In some ways it's easier to do corrections at the next meal, but it's a fairly loose approach to control. And it makes it difficult in practice to check that your carb ratio and correction ratio are right, as you are not checking them independently.

Reactions: 2 people

pennyjwills

Dislikes
Mobile phone noises
I've been having the same mugs of coffee every day at same time for last 2 years :( normal milk makes me bloated and get tummy knots and pain from it. I have IBS but it hasnt flared up for 2 years since cutting out triggers.

Spiker

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Part of the rise could be the wake up phenomenon and the dawn phenomenon. Part of it could be glucagon and cortisol stimulation from the caffeine. I wouldn't have thought any of those factors on its own would cause a 5 mmol/L rise in 2 hours, but maybe.

I wonder if there might be something hormonal going on. While it is normal for insulin requirements to change over time, for a change this sudden, usually the cause is a change in behaviour, such as a change in diet or exercise patterns, or a change in health such as an infection or disease. Has anything like that happened in the last 2 weeks? Has anything at all changed?

Spiker

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Nope. No change in hormones that I'm aware of. I had the same thing happen at christmas but that was down to too much cheese and port. Lol
And no change in diet, exercise, health, routine, medication? Have you changed the frequency of testing (eg testing more frequently)?

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
I think I'm getting a rise from my coffee. I woke up at 5.30 with 8.7 and by 7.51 pre breakfast is 14! My only consumable was coffee.

Try eating something upon waking, I know if I don't I get a liver dump which gradually pushes up my bg levels.

Spiker

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
If you have had no change in diet, exercise, medication, health, routine, or testing regime, and you have been stable on this regime for two and a half years until the last two weeks, and you're sure your insulin supplies have not degraded, then I think you need to see a doctor for more detailed testing, because something in your biochemistry has changed quite significantly in a very short period of time. 20mmol/L readings in the middle of the night are much too high to be caused by the dawn phenomenon.

As you are struggling with bruising from the Levemir injections I would definitely take the advice from @pumppimp to take each 40u Levemir dose as 2 x 20u. This will reduce the physiological effects on your skin and it will improve the predictability and effectiveness of the insulin. In fact you should watch out for hypos when changing to 2 x 20u, if you weren't running high. I would make that change right away, in case the problem is an absorption problem.

pennyjwills

Dislikes
Mobile phone noises
Thanks spiker. I have a diabetic clinic appt now for tuesday and i'll bring it up. Usually if i have a peak theres a darn good reason for it like a meal out or being a lazy wotsit on the weekend but having high readings and still eating healthily and working out doesnt make sense and doesnt feel fair! :0(

craig81

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I think I'm getting a rise from my coffee. I woke up at 5.30 with 8.7 and by 7.51 pre breakfast is 14! My only consumable was coffee.

To determine if it is coffee or dawn phenomenon that is potentially causing that early morning rise I would forego the coffee and see if that has an impact. I need to take two units as soon as I get up otherwise my blood sugars spike by 5 points. I also need to inject 1.5 units for when I have black coffee later in the day as I respond to caffeine. Because of the dawn phenomenon I skip caffeine in the morning. You need to start ruling out these things one by one.

Reactions: 3 people

craig81

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Did you have a time where your sugar didnt spike after coffee? I had done 2 years until now without unknown spikes and always had coffee

It's hard to say. And your body can change how it responds to food and drink so what applied during one period of your life may not hold true during other periods. I was never much of a coffee or tea drinker until relatively recently. I did notice, however, that when I used to drink diet coke (no longer touch the stuff) that I would frequently get blood sugar readings that wouldn't match up with my insulin ratios. Looking back I suspect it was the caffeine in the cola that was having an impact. Not everybody responds to caffeine but some of us do. It's worth a shot. Fast for a period. Take your blood sugar. Have a coffee. Wait an hour to 90 minutes. And then test. Then you'll know. Hope you figure it out.

pennyjwills

Dislikes
Mobile phone noises
Thank you all! This weekend I plan to have a fast and give all my results to the clinic on tuesday. Then they cant dispute thats somethings up. They have my myfitnesspal food and exercise logs, my accuchek results for sugars and dosage and carbs and they have access to my food blog :)

pennyjwills

Dislikes
Mobile phone noises
2.5l of water and 7 toilet trips and my sugars have finally come down to below 12! 10.8 on the scale so still a bit raised. I have literally been peeing sugar! I know... Tmi.

pennyjwills

Dislikes
Mobile phone noises
Note taken. I phoned the clinic this afternoon to ask for advice and got told off for drinking too much water. You're never too old for a telling off :)

Got my protein snack (2quorn sausages and some almonds) for 1am and the fast and testing is from 5am-11am. Got my hypogel and fruit bar just in case :) Hubbys on night shifts so I'm under strict instructions to keep him updated :)

Attachments

• 1399064700021.jpg
    1399064700021.jpg
    50.4 KB · Views: 214