1. Get the Diabetes Forum App for your phone - available on iOS and Android.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, we'd love to know what you think about the forum! Take the Diabetes Forum Survey 2021 »
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Diabetes Forum should not be used in an emergency and does not replace your healthcare professional relationship. Posts can be seen by the public.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Guest, stay home, stay safe, save the NHS. Stay up to date with information about keeping yourself and people around you safe here and GOV.UK: Coronavirus (COVID-19). Think you have symptoms? NHS 111 service is available here.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Find support, ask questions and share your experiences. Join the community »

High Blood Sugars Compared to Normal

Discussion in 'Type 1 Diabetes' started by Amy993, Oct 12, 2017.

1. Amy993

Amy993 Type 1 · Well-Known Member

Hi, just looking for a bit of advice before i contact my DSN.
    Over the last week my blood sugar has been increasing, and instead of me being in my normal range of 4-7, have constantly been 9-12. I was wondering if anyone knew why this has happened?
    I am 17, and have been diagnosed just over a year.

2. claire1991

claire1991 Type 1 · Well-Known Member

Could it be hormonal? I tend to run high the week before my period.
    Any extra stress you’ve got going on?
    Illness?
    Less activity than normal?

• Like Like x 1
  3. Deleted Account

Deleted Account · Guest

There are many things which affect our BG: time of day (e.g. Dawn Phenomenon), time of month, time of year, exercise, stress, illness, drugs, injury, something on our fingers when we take a reading, ...

When I have experienced prolonged high BG for no obvious reason, I have changed my insulin and pens. I try to get insulin from a different batch in case there was a problem in the way it has been stored. I have also changed my BG meter in case there was a problem with it.

The only time this happened to me, I came down with a cold after about a week so decided the high BG was probably my body attempting to fight off the lurgy.

My other thought is, after about a year, you may be coming to the end of your honeymoon period.

Good luck in your detective work to find out the cause of your high BG.

• Like Like x 1
  4. Amy993

Amy993 Type 1 · Well-Known Member

Thank you both for the suggestions. Im not ill at the moment, haven’t been under a lot of stress this week, am doing the same exercise as i am very active. It could be hormonal, will find out in a couple of days. I did change my pod, and it didnt make any difference. My dsn thought i was starting come out of honeymoon a few months ago, but it might be fully happening now. I will contact them and see what they think

• Like Like x 1
  • Meet the Community

Find support, connect with others, ask questions and share your experiences with people with diabetes, their carers and family.

Did you know: 7 out of 10 people improve their understanding of diabetes within 6 months of being a Diabetes Forum member. Get the Diabetes Forum App and stay connected on iOS and Android

Grab the app!
  • Tweet with us

• Like us on Facebook