High Blood Sugars Compared to Normal

Amy993

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Hi, just looking for a bit of advice before i contact my DSN.
Over the last week my blood sugar has been increasing, and instead of me being in my normal range of 4-7, have constantly been 9-12. I was wondering if anyone knew why this has happened?
I am 17, and have been diagnosed just over a year.

claire1991

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Hi, just looking for a bit of advice before i contact my DSN.
Over the last week my blood sugar has been increasing, and instead of me being in my normal range of 4-7, have constantly been 9-12. I was wondering if anyone knew why this has happened?
I am 17, and have been diagnosed just over a year.

Could it be hormonal? I tend to run high the week before my period.
Any extra stress you’ve got going on?
Illness?
Less activity than normal?

Reactions: Amy993
D

Deleted Account

There are many things which affect our BG: time of day (e.g. Dawn Phenomenon), time of month, time of year, exercise, stress, illness, drugs, injury, something on our fingers when we take a reading, ...

When I have experienced prolonged high BG for no obvious reason, I have changed my insulin and pens. I try to get insulin from a different batch in case there was a problem in the way it has been stored. I have also changed my BG meter in case there was a problem with it.

The only time this happened to me, I came down with a cold after about a week so decided the high BG was probably my body attempting to fight off the lurgy.

My other thought is, after about a year, you may be coming to the end of your honeymoon period.

Good luck in your detective work to find out the cause of your high BG.

Reactions: Amy993

Amy993

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Thank you both for the suggestions. Im not ill at the moment, haven’t been under a lot of stress this week, am doing the same exercise as i am very active. It could be hormonal, will find out in a couple of days. I did change my pod, and it didnt make any difference. My dsn thought i was starting come out of honeymoon a few months ago, but it might be fully happening now. I will contact them and see what they think

Reactions: claire1991