High Blood Sugars Due To Stress

SusanMonk

I am under a considerable amount of stress at the moment due to a terminally ill relative, so while dealing with this my blood sugars are haywire (T2), getting lots of fussy heads and generally feel yuk when its high, any ideas what I can do to reduce theses high levels?

Reactions: del.uk

Diakat

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
The smell of cigars
Take some time for yourself. Go for a walk, breathe, do something you love and try to focus on anything that is not the hard side of family life right now.

Reactions: Concordjan

kitedoc

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
black jelly beans
Hi @ SusanMonk,
Stress causes our Adrenaline and cortisone level to rise. The effect of these hormones is to cause insulin to be less effective in keeping our blood sugar in range, whatever type of diabetes we have.
As @Diakat, wisely says, relaxing, walking, time out are strategies to help. Once your stresses have lessened things improve.
But if your BSLS are high (depending what your DSN advises but maybe >14 mmol/l) you may be best to discuss such levels with your dsn or doctor to see whether some temporary increase in treatment might be needed)

Australiadiabetic2

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
A couple of things , not sure if u live in city or country

What about a full body oil massage,most city have a thai massage shop or advertised in the newspaper or see a chiropractor,you will be amazed at how much telaxed you are once you get a massage or your back adjusted

Go to a day spa or sauna , most citys have day spas and normal saunas can be found in gyms,sweat the toxins out

Talk to a counsellor or psychologist,psychologists are advertised in the phone book,sometimes its goo to tell someone the stress your going thru abd talk about it,if you cant cope ring up a service on the phone but better face to face.

Lay down put some quiet chilled out music on and listen and think to that .

Go to a Church or temple and pray,no im not religious at all and either was my mother when she was dying but i went into the church and sat there reflecting and lit a candle, this was in a big hospice so they had one down stairs.

Go and get a facial, get your hair done,a manicure,a pedicure and treat yourself

Its not easy with a terminally ill relative ,i went thru two ,both my mum and dad died of cancer , going thru my mums illness was the worst time of my life,im sure it brought on diabetes for me as well as aged me a few years.

del.uk

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I am under a considerable amount of stress at the moment due to a terminally ill relative, so while dealing with this my blood sugars are haywire (T2), getting lots of fussy heads and generally feel yuk when its high, any ideas what I can do to reduce theses high levels?

Yoga is your answer !!!

I lost my brothers wife, had kids to look after on top my father was ill. I started doing yoga even if it was 10 mins every morning it help tremendously and also remember one thing YOU COME FIRST!!! If you have health you can do a lot when you have no health your limited and only you suffer and the fuss heads won't even bother checking on you because they will be targeting another victim

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies, Liars, Trolls and dishonest cruel people

Sending you a virtual hug. Things, in time, will eventually sort themselves out, but in the meantime you could try......, yoga to help relax you, deep breaths in and then breathing out of your mouth and closing you eyes to imagine a lovely cascading waterfall. Take care x

Last edited: